VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 9 - 2018: Reduce and Simplify Pass/Membership Options

DAY09.jpg

Purchasing admission to the park use to be simple - you either bought a day ticket or a season pass.  However, with the introduction of memberships and the further complexities brought on by having different tiers, deciding which option is best for you gets quite complicated .  Further muddying the waters are the different promotions that are offered throughout the season with level upgrades, free months, huge discounts off list prices, etc., etc.  Throw in options for various dining plans which offer different combinations of meals and drinks, and Flash Pass, photo, and parking add-ons and even the most seasoned season pass holder gets confused.  Lastly, the complexities are often made worse by Six Flags systems limitations and multiple in-park processing requirements.  There has to be a better way to streamline the number of options and make you feel good about buying a pass instead of wondering what just happened when you clicked the purchase button.

• Like 1

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Day 9 - 2018: Reduce and Simplify Pass/Membership Options
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with this one. I will keep my SP til they take them away completely -which i kinda feel is where it will eventually go anyways with all these new levels of membership and whatnot.  I have no real plans to switch to a membership for the reasons mentioned above. As well as the fact that annually, it costs so much more for that top tier. Just not worth it for me since i still buy my teenager& preteen their passes too (that they have had since they were 2 yrs old too). SP’S for life !!!!! 

Edited by fetish911
  • Like 1

Now with the Gold Plus membership level gone (unless that is just temporary), that should help a little with only 3 membership levels. I think it would be best to have 2 season pass types, regular and gold and 2 membership levels, a basic one and a top tier one like Diamond Elite. With the previous 4 membership levels, 3 types of season passes (Summer Thrill Pass, Combo Pass and Gold), it is a lot to figure out. I can only imagine how complicated it would be for someone who visits only twice a year and doesn't go online to amusement park message boards of other social media groups to decide on what pass or membership to get.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, GAcoaster said:

Purchasing admission to the park use to be simple - you either bought a day ticket or a season pass.  However, with the introduction of memberships and the further complexities brought on by having different tiers, deciding which option is best for you gets quite complicated .  Further muddying the waters are the different promotions that are offered throughout the season with level upgrades, free months, huge discounts off list prices, etc., etc.  Throw in options for various dining plans which offer different combinations of meals and drinks, and Flash Pass, photo, and parking add-ons and even the most seasoned season pass holder gets confused.

I agree with you, but I don't see this part happening because it ties into three of the five growth initiatives for Six Flags and they stated that new membership tier layers are coming.   The part about fixing the Six Flags systems limitations and in park processing requirements could happen.

From the Q3 2018 earnings call transcript:

The opportunities in front of Six Flags are substantial and still in the early to middle stages of development. Five key growth initiatives will drive revenue and margin for the foreseeable future. The first area is increasing ticket yields. We have taken pricing up 3% to 5% on every ticket type and added higher-priced membership tiers, yet our value for money ratings have continued to grow to all-time highs. Our overall guest satisfaction scores have increased very nicely over 2017 and are also at all-time highs.

The second area is increasing sales of memberships and season passes. Our newly-enhanced membership program has the potential to be transformative and is still in its first year. Members spend more annually on their subscriptions than the cost of a traditional season pass. And they also have much higher retention rates than season pass holders. Growth of our Active Pass Base should accelerate next year and beyond as we bring on new membership tier layers.

The third area of growth is in-park sales, especially culinary revenue. Our All-Season Dining Pass and Dining Membership Programs provide a tremendous value for our guests and a high-margin recurring revenue stream for us. In addition, our planned introduction of mobile dining next year will help further drive customer satisfaction and supercharge culinary revenue.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4214012-six-flags-entertainment-six-q3-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single