VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2020 Great ADVENTure Calendar- Day 1- Refurbish the Fort

I see if Runaway Mine Train goes at some point, might as well remove the fort. The Wild West theme is not that popular anymore so its not that hard of a decision to make.

If only the skyride goes, then be my guest and give it an overhaul it because you don't need a majority of it anymore and people still want the historical significance of it.

Every few years the wood cladding needs replacement. The structure underneath is concrete and steel, so it's really mostly a cosmetic situation. I think the roofs are coming do for re-shingling (it's been about 30 years since they were redone). Really it and Yum Yum are the most iconic structures at the park and losing either would really be sad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those synthetic shingles look pretty good. In our region wooden roofs degrade pretty fast which is why I suggest the Disney park route and fake it with stronger materials. In WDW, a surprising number of "wood" beams have welds.,

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, Medusa42 said:

They make synthetic cedar shakes now.

https://www.cedur.com/gallery

I think I have seen Busch Gardens using those on some of their buildings that used to have wooden shingles. Hersheypark has been replacing their older roofs with metal, I guess it will last awhile though.