VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2020 Great ADVENTure Calendar- Day 17- Repair or Replace Damaged Pavement

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

Yeah, they plow and salt so much of the park's pavement each winter and it shows!

It will make a bad situation worse pretty fast. I have not seen it so much at theme parks yet (because winter time operations are still very new), but at other places such as shopping centers you can see where snow removal has accelerated the wear and salt has sped up the deterioration of pavement and other infrastructure. A couple of years ago in Philly, they found a major concrete support column for a highway had split into two because road salt had sept into it and rusted out the rebar which caused them to expand and crack the concrete. Freeze / thaw cycles and acid rain are hard enough on outdoor infrastructure but amplify that with plowing and deicer spraying and you have a perfect recipe for rapid deterioration. Clearly GADV's pavement does not need additional help in that regard as it is rotting pretty fast on its own.      

https://eastcoatpavement.com/rock-salt-deicer-affect-asphalt/

Edited by The Master

A big part of the problem is that some of the walkways are going on 47 years old.  Just like sidewalks in a town, sometimes they need to be replaced especially given the foot traffic that some of the pathways endure.  

I just hope that when it does happen, they use concrete and not asphalt. Concrete is so much nicer and stamped concrete to match a theme is even better.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

A big part of the problem is that some of the walkways are going on 47 years old.  Just like sidewalks in a town, sometimes they need to be replaced especially given the foot traffic that some of the pathways endure.  

I just hope that when it does happen, they use concrete and not asphalt. Concrete is so much nicer and stamped concrete to match a theme is even better.  

Plus Concrete is more comfortable to walk on during the summer

I agree about that. The asphalt at Hersheypark is brutal in the Summer. 

Lots of factors effect concrete walkway life, traffic, weight, the ground under it, freeze / thaw cycles, snow removal and deicer use, etc. That is besides the quality of the concrete mixture itself as well as how well it was laid down and cured. I suspect most of the ground around GADV is pretty soft which promotes cracking. 

Edited by The Master