VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 23- A Holiday in the Park Event

I don't know if it means anything, but I happen to know that the park president has been visiting the two California parks in the past couple of weeks (both of which host Holiday in the Park) and last night visited Storybook Land and their holiday event... ;)

Maybe he just likes Christmas events?

Hershey has all of its big coasters closed for their holiday event. The climate here is just too cold to run big coasters at this time of year. Rides GADV could operate in the holiday season would be the two indoor coasters if they heat the buildings and the flat rides along with an indoor holiday show and indoor heated places for guests to warm up.

I have wanted to see Holiday in the Park at Great Adventure for years. Except for kiddie/family coasters, if you live in this area want to ride any other type of coaster you are forced to go to California, Texas, Georgia or Florida (and I guess Virginia just for Verbolten). I'd go to the park just for Skull Mountain and The Dark Knight.

I would have Fantasy Forest, Movie Town, Adventure Alley and Adventure Seaport open with Blackbeard's, Nitro and Batman open weather permitting and also have the path to Frontier Adventures open for Safari Off Road Adventure and possibly Runaway Mine Train as well since Arrow Mine Trains can run in I think 33 degrees based on Thundernation at Silver Dollar City.

I don't know if it means anything, but I happen to know that the park president has been visiting the two California parks in the past couple of weeks (both of which host Holiday in the Park) and last night visited Storybook Land and their holiday event... ;)

Maybe he just likes Christmas events?

I thought the same thing. The president and PR have made their way around to holiday events to multiple parks near and far. I feel like we may see something in the future.

^ A sign of it happening next year? That seems like too many events to go to without considering it for themselves. Interesting...

For the coasters, how do they run them on cold days early in the season? That could probably indicate which ones would run at an event like this.

Generally cold weather isn't a problem as long as the wind is not too strong (since Nitro vallyed I think opening weekend 2009). Opening weekend 2010 it was in the low 40's and Kingda Ka was running along with I think everything else. It was freezing at the top but the train made it over the top hat without problems. I have also been there at the end of the season when it's been in the low 30's and the coasters are running then too. Unlike other parks/chains, Great Adventure is really good about running coasters no matter how cold it is.

But at this time of the year temps can drop into the 20s during early evening hours, or there can be days that never reach above freezing temps for the daily high. There is a big difference between a hour or two of freezing temps at the fringe of the current operating season range vs many hours or a day or more of sub freezing temps. I just really don't see how the park can reliable operate outdoor coasters in late Nov though Dec in our climate. Then there is the risk of guests getting frostbite due to the windchill of a moving coaster train at high speeds. Personally I would not want to ride Nitro, KK, or any outdoor coaster in the 20s.

Temperature really affects steel with how it expands and contracts, causing differences in how well the ride runs compared to warm weather. Wood being a more porous, and pliable material is affected even more. Wood will expand and contract much farther than steel, with temperature changes. Also, temperature may affect the performance of brakes or other components, causing the ride to be dangerous.

There is also snow clearing costs, and spreading ice melt salt which does damage infrastructure. If they plan on running big coasters during the holiday season, they would have to budget in clearing snow off the tracks, using heaters to warm up the train wheels, use cold temp grease, heat the air lines for the brakes, etc. Even if they have heaters under the station to warm up the train wheels, they can still cool off and become stiff on a long lift in really cold weather.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be enough to get me to go to the park in November and December. I'd be happy with Skull Mountain, Dark Knight and Blackbeard's for the coasters since that would still be more coasters running that any other park for hours.

• 2 months later...