VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Your choice for operating a ride?

29yrswithaGApass

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I would hear anyone say that they loved working the Cables or Parachutes lol.I mean Cables isn't that bad now that I think of it and the crew I was friends with made it good,but catching the cars for a shift during the summer was rough.

But in the end I ended up working

Cables

Batman (Attendant & Op)

Dark Knight

Kingda Ka.Ka was my favorite even though I only worked there for one shift.(Worked it the day after it opened again)

I have to say I had alot of fun working @GASM this year, way more fun than viper back in the day, the only down side is that GASM is like the most reliable ride in the park, its open in all weather(except lightning), so the malfunction breaks are minamal, And running up to the blocks can only be done 3 times a day at max, theres a lot of stairs to climb to get up there, but all in all its easy and fun so thats my new choise, plus im hoping to go back to GASM next season

i dont think lead is going to be up for grabs if Rosalee comes back next season, shes been lead there for 3 seasons and has turned down mgr positions at Ka, she likes being lead at GASM so who knows, plus she lives on site all season and works doubles all summer so only time will tell, but she did mention that she may not return, but everyone says that at the end of a loooong season!

• 2 weeks later...
Well working with amusements for almost 23 years, I have ran the following rides Himalaya, Flying Bobs, Round Up, Tilt a Whirl, Super Sizzler, Sky Diver, Trabant, Pharoah's Fury, Swinger, Cliff Hanger, Spider, Gravitron, Merry Go Round, Zipper, All Kiddie Rides, Cinema 180, Paratroper, Log Flume, Matahorn, Raiders, Flitzer, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Jet Star... And for the past 15 years i have been setting up and dismatleing the Super Sizzler for a great company been there now 15 years but its time for a change. Im now wanting to get to work for Six Flags Great Adventure. With my experiance i think i would have a good chance for getting in with the employees there. :rolleyes:

Well working with amusements for almost 23 years, I have ran the following rides Himalaya, Flying Bobs, Round Up, Tilt a Whirl, Super Sizzler, Sky Diver, Trabant, Pharoah's Fury, Swinger, Cliff Hanger, Spider, Gravitron, Merry Go Round, Zipper, All Kiddie Rides, Cinema 180, Paratroper, Log Flume, Matahorn, Raiders, Flitzer, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Jet Star... And for the past 15 years i have been setting up and dismatleing the Super Sizzler for a great company been there now 15 years but its time for a change. Im now wanting to get to work for Six Flags Great Adventure. With my experiance i think i would have a good chance for getting in with the employees there. :rolleyes:

If your just going to be a Team Member they wouldn't ask for any of that stuff anyways.

Edited by Mike13

At Six flags everyone starts at the bottom, even the corporate people < unless you in the upper echelon< but to become a mgr you have to be a team member first, usually they dont ask you to go up for atleast on season unless your an exceptional employee, but for the most part you start at the bottom and earn your way up. Its not hard to make your way up since most of the people who work there are kids in school, but the real key to promotions there is showing up on time and being friendly with everyone> working for six flags is alot like high school where everyone has there on click, and as long as you treat everyone fair and dont act like your poop dont stink then you will be fine, otherwise you end up being one of the hated sups or mgr's ( and we all know who those people are on this site, those of us who work there). we wont mention any names as we all would like to but it goes back to being respectful and playing the game.

How many rides you have worked is not going to get you a supervisor position. You just have to show that you want to be up top. As a team member make sure that you shine above the rest but please dont act like you are the boss leave that to the leads and managers. Everyone must work their way to the top. Neil pretty much hit everything on the nose if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I never liked rides that were boring to operate... I liked fast paced environments that required a bit of work. It always made the day go by faster, and you had more fun... My favorite rides to operate were (not in any specific order):

1. Mine Train - before the computerization; when you could run three trains...

2. Cables - Loved the workout and constant pace

3. Parachuter's Perch - I moved to that ride the first year it opened and found a rythym to operating two chutes - back and forth. It was non stop and you got a great tan on that pad!

4. Coaster I & II (Rolling Thunder) before head restraints, seat belts, seat dividers, and computerization. As an experienced operator, you learned how to "speed stop" the trains - hardly using the dispatch brakes at all, giving guests the most awesome stop on any coaster!

5. Rapids - way before there were rail guides installed in the water, when the wave machines were running and boats would occsionally jam. Half the fun of working that ride was standing on the outside of the boats, jumping up and down to get them to "un-jam"... Then you got to ride the boat the rest of the way in while on the outside! Emergency Flush ALL was a great time too... Anyone who worked the ride back then will understand!

Today though, nobody "hustles" anymore. Everything is slow, there are fewer operators on rides which makes lines longer and in my opinion LESS safe. Put more people back on the ride crews and start getting those hourly numbers back up! ;-)

Parachuter's Perch - I moved to that ride the first year it opened and found a rythym to operating two chutes - back and forth. It was non stop and you got a great tan on that pad!

This was a great ride to work when you operated a pair of chutes- constant motion. I watched the ride operations last season and you just can't work it the same way now. There are additional gates and locks and you have to do a visual scan before you can dispatch each chute. I loved working that ride especially when you had the rythm you mentioned and knew you were eating through your line.

And yes, it also provided for one hell of a tan!

Nitro/ biz/ RMT/ BTR, nitro is a constant ride that would be fun to work because people get excited on it, bizarro I just like the mechanical on it lol, mine train I love the classic arrow mine train theme, and batman would be fun because it's not huge but not to small.