VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Houdini's Great Escape

GAcoaster

Yes, this is the last of the Dream & Nightmares series (for now). We're moving on to some other things soon, and eventually we'll head back to Dream Street.

The park's management team is well aware of the public's feelings for Houdini, and they wanted to re-open it (in fact they never planned to close it). The decision was out of their hands...

I have been waiting for this Spotlight for a while now, and it did not dissapoint. I always wanted to see the inner workings for this ride. I hope it comes back for next Season, and I have a feeling that it will. It is too nice a building to be SBNO.

Nice spotlight. Houdini is one of my favorite rides at GAdv and it is a shameit was not open this year. Hopefully it will reopen next year. I remember the plot in the first season for it, it was pretty weird and they had Houdini sort of a villian so maybe his estate had something to do with the plot change.

It looks like a really cool ride. I never had the chance to ride it. I never knew what it was until 2006 and it was closed on my only visit in 2007 and of course closed this season.

I have been on the Wonder House in Dutch Wonderland which is the same type of ride but this looks even better. I hope it is open next year.

We can only hope...I just wonder at what cost if it does re-open? It might mean sacrificing something else if it were to happen...

Well we know that SF does not let rides SBNO for very long now so either it reopens or gets removed like so many other family rides in recent years.

I have been on the Wonder House in Dutch Wonderland which is the same type of ride but this looks even better. I hope it is open next year.

You reminded me of some video footage that could have been added to the Spotlight. The Dutch Wonder House at Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA works on the same basic principles as Houdini. The only thing they are missing is a building to hide the revolving room. Click the image below to see the video.

gallery_2_28_17661.jpg

I so miss this ride. It was one of my absolute favorites at the park since I began going again steadily, and usually made at least one ride per visit for me. Not having it open this year was rather disappointing to say the least, and I really did hold out hope through a good portion of the season something would suddenly change and it would be able to go, though in the back of my mind I knew this wasn't going to be the case at all. I do hope that I get the chance to ride it again next season somehow, but if not then I will just have to find another non-coaster favorite for myself while I am there. I think Kristi enjoyed its down time this year, as I always made her ride it when we visited, and I know she absolutely hated the thing lol.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the "Houdini" name is owned by his Estate, or if it's Public Domain? I was checking out the Spotlight again, witch is something I do for all the past Spotlight's and wondering if they have to get the right's to call the ride Houdini. If they do, maybe it had a part in it being closed last season, and if does re-open maybe a re-theme will be in store for us. Just a thought.

I just rode Feng Ju palace at Phantasialand which is a Vekoma Mad House. The ride was excellently themed...but pretty bad compared to Houdini. I really miss Houdini, I hope it reopens this year

• 7 months later...

We now have a higher quality rendering of Houdini's Great Escape. Here are some of the details from the original design for this ride. You can view some additional closeups in our Spotlight Extras - Houdini album by clicking HERE.

Notice the padlocks and chains around the columns!

gallery_2_43_317850.jpg

Part of the queue was to be covered.

gallery_2_43_180842.jpg