VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Parachuter's Perch

29yrswithaGApass

Six Flags Over Mid America's version of the parachute ride was proclaimed the world's tallest even though it looked very similar to the ones at Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags over Texas. SFOMA (and later Great Adventure) were able to make that claim because the main tower featured an extra segment of steel as seen in the comparison photo below.

gallery_2_431_69826.jpg

Here's a photo of Six Flags Over Georgia Great Gasp which shows twelve chutes. As mentioned in the Spotlight, GA's ride had twelve chutes when it was in St Louis but it was cut back to eight parachutes because of problems with the proximity sensors cause by the vibrations of the counter weights.

gallery_2_431_120952.jpg

Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA has a kiddie parachute drop that would look really nice on the former Space Shuttle (Looping Starship) site!

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

DCA has this ride which they named Jumpin Jellyfish, as you can guess it is decorated as jellyfish. It is a really tame ride even by kiddie ride standards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't seen that side open in any of my visits to the park last season or this season. All except 1 time, the side I see open is the 1 facing GASM (the 1 other time the side open was facing the boardwalk games area)

• 1 month later...

A couple of things.

The hole they dug to build this ride must have been almost as deep as the ride is tall!

I was one of the first to ride, albeit dressed as Bogey Orangutan, for some publicilty shots with then Park General Manager Dave Paltzik. They raised and lowered us to all different heights - the photographer was in the next chute.

When they rebuilt the Games Square after 1982 - yes they wanted to drive people through there, and Parachuter's Perch was a good way to do it. They also blocked off direct access from the Carousel to the Four Tents with a large mounded garden - forcing people to walk through Games Square. Smart money move, but kind of ruined the big Fairway feel of standing at the Four Tents and looking right up the long street to Carousel - Fountain - and Big Wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

this ride still freaks me out when your at the top, i like the few seconds to look out across the park. its in need of some serios corrosion control though and hope it gets done for2010, a nice fresh coat of white with great adventure painted down it woul be cool!

Edited by gafreak

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell you happy I am to see the Parachutes being repainted! It is great that the park is continuing their restoration efforts throughout GA and keeping some of the true classic rides in running condition. There are only two operating parachute rides left in the United States now (GA and SFOT), and it is great that next year we don't have to say that there is only one left in Texas!

Ya i saw this today as were going into the safari and i thought my eyes were plaing tricks on me, i tried to turn around but i would have had to go onto 537 to do it, i wanted to get a pic of it to post but you beat me to it Harry. This is great to see that we wont be losing a park staple next year!

When I got the text message from Brian saying, "ZOMG! THEY'RE PAINTING THE PARACHUTE TOWER!" I didn't think it was going to be different colors. lol, and then he sent me the picture. I really like the colors, but I'm wondering why they chose them. hmm :hmm: