VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Parachuter's Perch

29yrswithaGApass

Did a drive by the park today early thismorning, didnt see anyone out there painting, but it was heavy overcast and low fog early out there, so maybe later in the morning they headed out, the view from prospertown lake you can see the bright colors standing out against the sky

I am glad to see the park is taking time to update the ride, but it has been white forever. It will seem very strange with different colors.

They could be retheaming that part of the boardwalk to a new movie in the Right Stuff Theatre. There are still airplane theaming in some places.

Originally, I thought it was going to be painted all red, like the Parachute Tower in Coney Island. After seeing the recent pictures, it looks much better with the variety of colors. Now someone just has to alter the ride spotlight...

Edited by nbadude44

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, judging by the previous posts. I want to preface this by saying this is my opinion, so please do not jump down my throat. Here goes:

I think the new paint job is hideous. Not only does it clash with everything around it, but with everything that can be seen from it, which is a lot.

The ride is supposed to be about the parachutes, not the pole holding them up. Since the idea is to seem like you are parachuting, the cables and pole should be hiden as much as possible. The parachutes themselves should be bright colors, not the support structure. Whatever color they now make the parachutes, they will be overpowered by the pole.

Do they have someone at corporate in charge of making these decisions that simply throws darts at a color wheel and goes with whatever they land on?

I do not believe they are going for a new theme in the area. Six Flags gave up on theming a long time ago ( with the unexplainable exception of the Golden Kingdom ). They claim they are now "thrill parks" instead of "theme parks". Everything in the park clashing, however, is not thrilling, it's just ugly.

Again, just my opinion.

O.K. now, let me have it. :)

• Like 1

^ For some reason, I despised it when they painted all the bolt rings red more so than I do the new paint job. I think the ride stands out and looks so much more significnt than it did white. However, I honestly believed that the ride was on its way out so they could have painted it black with purple dots and I would have been happy. The red, orange, yellow scheme reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.

As far as retheming, I think that entire end of the park will be much different in the next couple of years compared to what it is now. So while theming may not be their strongest point, I do think there is a plan for that area.

I posted the photos below in The Right Stuff topic a while back when we were talking about an air and space theme in that thread. We will have to wait and see that happens!

Para1.jpg

Para2.jpg

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this, judging by the previous posts. I want to preface this by saying this is my opinion, so please do not jump down my throat. Here goes:

I think the new paint job is hideous. Not only does it clash with everything around it, but with everything that can be seen from it, which is a lot.

The ride is supposed to be about the parachutes, not the pole holding them up. Since the idea is to seem like you are parachuting, the cables and pole should be hiden as much as possible. The parachutes themselves should be bright colors, not the support structure. Whatever color they now make the parachutes, they will be overpowered by the pole.

Do they have someone at corporate in charge of making these decisions that simply throws darts at a color wheel and goes with whatever they land on?

I do not believe they are going for a new theme in the area. Six Flags gave up on theming a long time ago ( with the unexplainable exception of the Golden Kingdom ). They claim they are now "thrill parks" instead of "theme parks". Everything in the park clashing, however, is not thrilling, it's just ugly.

Again, just my opinion.

O.K. now, let me have it. :)

While I agree that the colors stand out to much,but it's good to see it colored,and not white and rusted.

Also they haven't become even close to stop theming,how do you explain TDK,or Terminator?

Edited by Mike13

A theme park is not a bunch of rides with different themes thrown haphazardly around. The park itself has a theme and the rides fit into it. Not just the rides, but the restaurants, stores, restrooms, benches, streetlights, trash cans, ect.. You become totally immersed in the theme.

What theme does TDK fit into? Movie Town is not a theme. There have been movies made about everything imaginable. You could put anything in there and say it fits the theme. What is the theme of the area?

The Boardwalk is another lame attempt at a theme. It doesn't even have BOARDS. It also has no beach, sand, ocean, seagulls, ANYTHING associated with a boardwalk. It's just a bunch of unrelated rides thrown in the parking lot. Granted a boardwalk is a lot of unrelated rides, but there is a BOARDWALK and all the other ocean related things. This area more resembles a parking lot carnival than a boardwalk. People in New Jersey know what boardwalks are, you can't give them that and tell them it's a boardwalk.

The only areas with good theming are the Golden Kingdom and Frontier Adventures, and that has been ruined with the teepee removal and Bizarro.

Six Flags parks used to have distinctive themed areas, but through the years they have been diluted by adding rides, restaurants, and shops that do not fit the themes. The explanation I have received is that they no longer wish to be thought of as theme parks, but rather as thrill parks. In my opinion, being immersed in a theme makes the park "thrilling" and you can have all the same rides while having them fit into a cohesive theme.

• Like 1

I have to agree with mike13, i absolutely hate the new paint job. Obviously, white is too costly to maintain, since it shows everything quite easily, and it may just be that that is how I have and always will remember it, but any color other than white just looks all wrong to me. But I definately think they could have gone for something better.....

I was pleased to roll into the parking lot on Saturday to see that nice, new paint job in progress on the parachute tower. Not only does it look much better already, but it's probably evidence that they're not planning to get rid of it too soon. (I can't imagine paint jobs are cheap for a big ride like that.)

It's funny seeing it from the back though -- it's pretty rusty looking in comparison. Also, since you can only see the white/rusty areas from the back, the yellow arms almost look like they're old and rusty instead of painted when you view it from behind. Kind of funny. Once it's done, I'll bet it'll look great.

Edited by Mr. Hot Dog

I love the paint job mainly because we had 4 blank white towers sticking out of the sky. Now there are only 3. It gives the park color like most Cedar Fair parks. It brightens the skyline I just wish we would stop using red and yellow.

Robert, Boardwalk DOES have boards....At the main entrance near DDD down the straight path there are replica boards. With Bizarro and TDK I think any new area we get will give us theme. Amazing theme. Shapiro said it his self with the Chang talk. He said it will have new story, theme, and color. (Bizarro)