VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Parachuter's Perch

29yrswithaGApass

I found this nice little article from when Great Adventure's parachute ride was originally installed at Six Flags Over Mid America as Sky Chuter. It mentions how the ride was 50 feet taller than the previous models and confirms that it originally had eight parachutes compared with twelve found on the Over Texas and Over Georgia installations.

gallery_2_431_93520.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Parachuter's Perch - UPDATED Spotlight!
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Parachuter's Perch
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Parachutes have been removed from the park’s website and app.  If the recent chain wide ride removals are any indication, also first removed from the website, this isn’t a good sign.

If this really is the end, unfortunately it’s been a long time coming with the scarcity of parts.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/things-to-do/all-rides

35 minutes ago, Mr.Six said:

Looks like the Parachutes have been removed from the park’s website and app.  If the recent chain wide ride removals are any indication, also first removed from the website, this isn’t a good sign.

If this really is the end, unfortunately it’s been a long time coming with the scarcity of parts.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/things-to-do/all-rides

Isn't it the last remaining Parachutes ride in the US?

As for other Six Flags ride removals, Mind Eraser at Six Flags America was removed from that website.

Then again, ME can be dismantled and sold for scrap for all I care.

I hope its not the end of the Parachutes! It is such a classic and unique ride, GADV's skyline would not look the same without it. Also is there any news about Zumanjaro? I never saw it ran all of last year and I visited the park many times. 

2 hours ago, I Have No Name said:

Speaking of ride removals, what about the future of Twister? 

If it gets removed at some point; what could be put in it's place? 

The space occupied by Parachutes & Twister could be a good fit for a SkyRocket II.

Between the Parachutes/Twister plot & the Right Stuff Theater/Road Race plot across the midway, they have a few possibilities to revitalize the Boardwalk area.

Sad to see the Parachutes going, especially because of how relatively close it was to the famous (but defunct) Parachute Tower in Coney Island. This was the closest thing you could get to that landmark, but not anymore.

To be fair, when I rode it at the end of last October, the base of the tower was swarming with the rapidly-breeding firefly moths. Maybe that was a factor in removing it?

I've ridden it dozens of times, but my fondest memory was watching some of the 2008 Glow In The Park parade from the skies. I don;t have any pictures of that, but I'll share my oldest photo of the Parachutes, from November 2, 2008:

six flags 11-2-08 032.jpg

Edited by nbadude44
  • Like 1