VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Skull Mountain

29yrswithaGApass

If you look at the pictures the people in line are all looking at the scenery. Nobody is sitting on the ropes or poles and not a single one of them looks pissed off about waiting. Hrmmmm

That's probably because of how fast the Skull Mountain line moves. They can load a train in 30 seconds.

Skull Mountain is one of the most efficient coasters in the park. From what I've heard it consistently delivers in the top 5 highest throughput in the park, sometimes beating out El Toro, Batman, Bizarro, etc.

That's because it takes an hour and a half to load Bizarro. It's painful.

It was tossed around TPR that Nitro is about 1.4 million this year, Superman hit 1 million for the first time since 2003 which is impressive, and Bizarro around 1.1 million. It wasn't stated but I'd guess El Toro is around 1.3 million and Skull Mountain in the same range, maybe above.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Skull Mountain is "gaining" riders, I think it's a combination of its mass appeal to kids and adults as well as it's massive capacity that draws even more people to the ride because it has comparatively shorter lines. A massively popular ride will lose some potential riders that are deterred by a two hour queue, while a very efficient, middle ground ride in terms of popularity (like Skull Mountain) will attract riders that aren't willing to wait long. Efficiency is key.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Reading the new book, it sounds weird that this ride was almost themed to Gremlins.

Then again, Viper was almost based on Unforgiven.

That's funny cause I was actually going to ask this after going through the book last night.

Im curious if it was just a name thrown out there or was it going to be more of a themed ride. So much potential there with placing the gremlins jumping out and scaring you. It would actually be an amazing dark ride. Would love to know if there were any concepts drawn up for this.

The Gremlins ride was totally designed and had a messed up factory like look. It would have been located more to the left of Skull Mountain, on the site of the Buccaneer (and the land to its right). The Buccaneer would have been relocated to the former Traffic Jam bumper cars site.

The Gremlins ride was totally designed and had a messed up factory like look. It would have been located more to the left of Skull Mountain, on the site of the Buccaneer (and the land to its right). The Buccaneer would have been relocated to the former Traffic Jam bumper cars site.

Now I'm really hyped up for the upgraded Skull Mountain spotlight.

Any known concept art of this ride?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I rode Skull during Fright Fest 2015 and then again during Winter 2016/2017. For some reason I enjoyed it much more the second time. Perhaps because I knew what to expect and how to handle the g-forces without needing a chiropractor afterwards. LOL

I had that same problem when I rode Expedition Everest in 2013. i rode in the front row but I thought I was going to pass out because of whiplash.

Weird how you can have totally different experiences at different times and different rides. I guess that is good.... :Transformer:

I ended up taking a two year break from riding roller coasters because of that. Surprisingly, I rode Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal Studios Florida two days later and had no problems with whiplash. Maybe the way I rode Everest impacted my experience.

• 3 weeks later...