VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Super Teepee

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good spotlight. I hope the Super Teepee can be saved but with Six Flag's money troubles it does not look good. The best way I can think of them saving it is to tear out the logs, build a steel frame with fiberglass logs to hide the steel beams but that would cost alot $$$$.

This is a toughy. I know I've seen somewhere else on this site that it might have something to do with a sponsor of the ride at that time, but being that this picture looks to be around late 1970's or early 1980's I think it might be too far before my time to remember. Any small hint you might be able to provide which wouldn't make it too obvious?

Thanks. I actually had a lot of fun trying to piece this together as I went along, and even did a little research online to see what I could dig up. I think you guys should do more stuff little things like this (technically anyone could but you guys seem to have an abundance of older pictures) to get people to explore more of the site. I can actually say I browsed through tons of the galleries, the old park brochures and guides/maps and then some internet listings in order to try and find the answer.

I want to give credit where credit is due also. I was able to come accross what seemed like the (and turned out to indeed be) the right answer on a site called Theme Park Timelines on their Six Flags over St. Louis page.

I think a sponsorship for the Teepee would definately be a good thing. I can't imagine going to Great Adventure and not see it looming over the Log Flume like it currently does. Even though I may not remember it from its glory years, it's still a major landmark inside the park.

With the arena so close and the concert series taking place once again, someone would definately get some major exposure from the people attending and coming past the teepee to get to or from there. Heck even a character meet and greet area inside would be kinda cool with something else added into the mix.

To me it seems like a landmark simply because of it's sheer size. When you get to that area of the park it is one of the tallest structures that is not a ride. While it may not have been anything special on the inside, it still represents that larger than life fantasy. I for one would really hate to see it go, it would be a real shame, and anything that replaced it simply would not be the same.

• 4 weeks later...

In a conversation with Great Adventure representatives, we have learned that the Super Teepee is still standing in the park and there aren't any immediate plans to either demolish or repair it. Unfortunately, until repairs are made the structure needs to remain vacant so don't expect to see this western shop open anytime soon. While decisions are being made on what to do with the structure, we were encouraged to write to the park and Six Flags and show support for keeping and repairing this unique attraction. The Best of the West would not be the same without it. :red_indian: