VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Skyride

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, I wonder if there were multiple points to enter/exit at one point in time. Underneath the station back where the door is in that photo, there is an area about 15 feet back that looks like it may have been an alternate pathway into the fort at one point in time, but it has since been covered up. Kind of like the walkways that are above the station, but with boarding covering it from the outside. Is it possible that is was once open to guests, or maybe was considered as an entrance but closed off before opening?

If it was ever used as an entrance or exit, it would have lead to the garden area underneath the Mine Train, adjacent to the current exit stairway.

Edited by ThemeParkRider

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Eugene Krabs said:

Hey guys does anyone have a downloadable skyway theme? And is the song copyrighted? 

I don't have downloadable versions, but the songs are the theme from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in the Dream Street station and the theme from A Million Ways to Die in the West in the Frontier Adventures station. Here's the YouTube links:

Frontier Adventures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzzj2_7qMsY

Dream Street: https://youtu.be/b5Edkb2Qo9c

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Some bad news and some good news to share...

The bad news, Six Flags Over Georgia has officially removed their skyride, meaning Great Adventure has the last remaining skyride of all the Six Flags parks. 

The good news is any salvageable parts are coming to GA to help keep our Skyride running. 

The BEST news, I just got confirmation from one of the techs who worked on it that Great Adventure's Skyride just got finished being re-cabled yesterday! That means it should be fairly safe from removal for another few years!!!

Here's the picture he posted on Facebook:
158684624_10223046444462586_679580931859  

• Like 4

Correction/update- just the one side was re-cabled this year, the other side was re-cabled more recently and was just re-spliced to adjust for the stretch. Apparently they are re-cabled on different schedules. 

Also learned that SFOG supposedly had 36 gondolas. I hope they're being shipped to GA as replacements or at least for parts. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you look back in this topic, an ongoing investigation of mine is whether or not the Skyride's exit was once down the front staircase between the two cables, across the low walkway and out the front doors of the Fort's righthand tower.

Well the plot thickens.  Check out this photo of guests lining up and going IN the Fort's front right doors!???

More investigating is definitely needed.

1974SkyrideLine copy.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

If you look back in this topic, an ongoing investigation of mine is whether or not the Skyride's exit was once down the front staircase between the two cables, across the low walkway and out the front doors of the Fort's righthand tower.

Well the plot thickens.  Check out this photo of guests lining up and going IN the Fort's front right doors!???

More investigating is definitely needed.

1974SkyrideLine copy.jpg

It has been four years since I've operated this ride and I still lose sleep over this. 

This one at least makes some sense to me - it is logical to load from that direction as well since that takes you directly between the two launchers. But it definitely adds to the confusion overall with the switchbacks in the upper level. 

I think I may have mentioned this before somewhere, but I know I have waited in the cue to board the western sky ride on the two levels and have exited through the front doors.  Other than the video showing people lined up to enter through those doors, I have never seen people lined up to take the ride to the Dream Street station.  The only possibility of boarding through these front doors (and this is simply a guess), would be if these doors also connected to the lower level cue on this side of the station which contained about three switchbacks inside.  That cue has long been closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly I am not surprised by this move. I am kind of surprised they didn't announced thevskyride is closed for good along with the parachutes, but it may be coming. Hate to say it but this has been a poor year so far. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 2

This company, or its leader, has the strangest definition of what constitutes a "premium experience."  In fact, I think he may be the only person using such a definition to sell tickets.  He doesn't seem to understand that you NEVER want to over promise while under delivering.  The word of mouth opinion of people who purchase tickets/passes expecting a premium experience and receiving just the opposite when they visit, will destroy the company.

• Like 2

I really don’t care for this pattern of ride removals not being announced until someone asks on social media. Losing the Skyride is sad enough, but for it to just be quietly removed from the site and signage is just heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

With the parachutes gone and the Skyride possibly removed, It's getting to the point where there are very few tame rides for almost anyone that aren't kiddie rides. All that is left is Justice League, Carousel, Big Wheel and maybe 1 or 2 other rides.

• Like 1

I consider the log flume and the rapids to be family/tame rides.  But, just because they have not been earmarked for removal, like the sky ride, apparently their signs, lists, and other communications don't seem to hold much water these days.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, Daved Thomson said:

This company, or its leader, has the strangest definition of what constitutes a "premium experience."  In fact, I think he may be the only person using such a definition to sell tickets.  He doesn't seem to understand that you NEVER want to over promise while under delivering.  The word of mouth opinion of people who purchase tickets/passes expecting a premium experience and receiving just the opposite when they visit, will destroy the company.

Its classic doublespeak. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this photo before, but I never noticed the number of passengers inside.  Just a guess, but was the photo taken during either the 1976 or 1977 season?  Is it at all possible that she is launching the car rather than stopping it? I guess that would depend on whether the bull wheels are capable of spinning in both directions.