VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Runaway Train

29yrswithaGApass

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this new lapbar system they installed do you think a guy my size could ride it again?

I am 6 foot 7 inches tall and had a really hard time fitting in the cars with that "T" bar. I want to ride Runaway Train again. It was my first steel coaster ever.

With this new lapbar system they installed do you think a guy my size could ride it again?

I am 6 foot 7 inches tall and had a really hard time fitting in the cars with that "T" bar. I want to ride Runaway Train again. It was my first steel coaster ever.

You may still have a hard time. I am 6'3" and "just fit" without an inch to spare. It's the length of the car (front to back) from my back to my knee cap that I find limiting.

I'm still suprised I'm able to cram myself into those small trains, I'm around 6' now and I just have to manuever myself right and I fit perfectly. Those other bars on the train always felt kinda unsafe so I'm glad they replaced them! This spotlight really makes me miss all of the trees and other landscaping that has been lost around the ride as well. That one big tree by the fortress is the one that I miss the most cause as a young kid, I almost felt like I was gonna get hit by a branch!

The close proximity of the trees does make the Runaway Train so much more fun. When Medusa was added I was worried that it was going to take away from a night ride on the Runaway Train, especially the dark double spiral. Happily it didn't change that much. We are very fortunate to have one of the best mine train rides Arrow has ever built.

I love the Runaway Mine Train. It isn't the fastest ride but it has it's moments of excitement that I enjoy. I still love the drop from the brakes down towards the water and then up to the hills and back over the water to the station.

Great stuff.

It would've been cool if they built the first drop, after the double helix, all the way to the ground before flying up to that brake area. But that is just me.

I built it on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and it was actually to extreme for those guests. And they ain't even real. :thud:

Edited by PaulieGBones

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome ride and I am so glad it has survived the test of times to still be in the park. you see so many older rides being taken out at parks all over the place, it is nice to see something like the runaway train still in it's polace anchoring an area of the park that has become much less of a focal point than it used to be.

On the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, I love them too. My fav has to be RCT2 mostly because it has Great Adventure in it and I enjoying going into it and trying to mod it to keep up with the park and also experiment whith new rides and such. Such a little kid at heart but that's probably why I love GA so much too. :)

• 5 months later...

I have been riding Runaway Train alot this year. My 6yr. old loves it and it is her first "big" coaster.( it was mine also ) The trim's before the drop by the creek are not slowing the train at all this year. How long has it been this way? I remember riding a few year's ago and they slowed the train a little. This year they don't slow you at all, not that i'm complaing but I was just curious.

Excellent spotlight! It sure does look different with all the woods gone. Are there any trees left around the helix?

Does anyone know if Arrow also constructed the "Big Thunder Mountain" coaster rides at the Disney Parks?

^ Yes, trees still surround the elevated helix on the Runaway Train. It is still pretty dark riding it at night even though Medusa is right next to it now.

Arrow was involved with Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Tokyo Disneyland. Vekoma was used for Disneyland Paris.

This ride has made it into every single visit this season to the park for us including a night where we had it completely to ourselves. It still is such an enjoyable ride and a classic to boot. While I wish more poeple would give it a ride or two, I also love being able to walk right on and ride as many times as we would like.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

They really need to do something about the roughness of this ride. Last season, it was enjoyable but this year I was thrown around a bit too much. I still enjoyed it, but a train-style coaster usually says "my first big roller coaster" for younger kids and they'll either laugh or be scarred for life when it comes to coasters....

~

On a different note, my mom told me about how she went to GADV its first year, and she talked about how disappointed she was with The Train at the age of 10, since it didn't have any big drops. She was really excited when Lightnin' Loops came.

Any roller coaster than a young kid can ride really throws you around in the park. I mean Skull Mountain, Rolling Thunder, RMT, Road Runner Railway, and TDK throw me for a round and I'm still young. That's just the nature of roller coasters, they go fast and make tight turns, so you're bound to find it a bit bumpy.