VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

A Great Adventure History Book

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definetly going to buy it. Been hoping for awhile for something like this.Great Adventure has always been my favorite park since the first time I went in 89.Hoping to move close to the park in the future to be a season pass user and Gasm is my favorite coaster I ever rode.Its all good. :Z21::carouselhorse:

We thanked all of our site members for their contributions. Everyone helps put the puzzle together! :D

I was pushing for you guy's to use my Super Sidewinder Pic. Oh, well... maybe in the next one. I just can't wait to see the Pic. of The Super Cat!!!

I was pushing for you guy's to use my Super Sidewinder Pic. Oh, well... maybe in the next one. I just can't wait to see the Pic. of The Super Cat!!!

With tens of thousands of pictures, getting it down to about 225 was one of the hardest parts of writing the book! We had so much we wanted to include but a limited number of pages to do it. Although we weren't able to use your great shot of the Super Sidewinder, the ride did make the cut. It is in a photo that also includes the "Lil Thunder" roller coaster.

In honor of the park's 35th anniversary and the forthcoming release of

Images of America: Six Flags Great Adventure

we present a preview of 3 of the more than 200 images from the book:

IOAGA01.jpg

Warner Le Roy studies the map of the Safari as construction begins.

IOAGA02.jpg

The Enchanted Forest's original Front Gate structure in 1974.

IOAGA03.jpg

An artists rendering of Rolling Thunder prior to construction in 1979.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember this park entrance from 1974 and 1975?

For some reason I recall vividly lining up on my very first and going through it in 1974, keeping to the left, and then heading down the incline and wrappinig around past the Bandstand on the Lake to hit the Log Flume first.

For years later, before I was really into the park and could figure some things out, I always wondered how we managed to get through the gate and get to the Log Flume so quickly. At the point, I hadn't realized they relocated the entrance!

IOAGA02.jpg

I was confused for several years. I remember the first time going to the park entering down by the fort and tents. I thought maybe we had entered through the employee entrance or something, like my dad snuck us in because he knew someone. It was many years before I found out the entrance had been moved.

They keep telling us August 31st, but I've seen August 26th listed as well. In this case the book won't have a "strict on-sale date", so it can be released as soon as it is received by the bookstore/website/etc. It will all depend on how fast the books are printed and shipped.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this! Barnes and Noble know's I'm coming for it too, I think I scared them last week when I mistakenly thought the book was already out.