VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Viper

Having loved the heartline rolls of the Ultra Twister, I was really excited when Great Adventure announced that we were getting a full circuit heartline coaster. Roughness and short length aside, Viper's rolls never seemed to be as impressive as the Ultra Twister's rolls. I think the side rails of the Ultra Twister helped generate truer heartline rolls than the rails below the cars on Viper.

gallery_2_1_121982.jpg

19950020.jpg

Very nice spotlight, I only rode Viper once near the end of it's life and it did suck. In fact everyone on the same train that I rode complained how rough it was and how it hurt their necks. Viper did have a very nice queue which sadly could not be reused.

I had a weird relationship with this ride. I absolutely loved the theming and the look of the ride. The ride itself, I could only take so much. When it was new, and I was little, I loved it. I could tolerate the pain. As I got older I couldn't ride it as much. Though the drop ALWAYS caught me off guard. Getting rid of it was the right choice. And the ride is still notorious amongst guests.

In fact, this is me in the second row

-Dainan "Would like to ride it one more time" Rafferty

I went on Viper the last Season it was running for my only ride on it. My Wife waited in line with me but when we got into the Station she just had a "bad feeling" about it and didn't come on it with me. I didn't think it was that bad, it was rough, but nothing too extreme. It was fun though, it was just a Ride that ran it's course and it's time had passed.

Viper was a unique ride for many reasons. It was not the greatest ride, but one of my favorites in the park to ride and work. The first drop, as we can all agree with, was intense and then crawling into the dive loop was insane. My favorite thing about Viper was it's visual impact. The ride looked incredible with the rings and elaborate station and queue. The reason I will always remember Viper is because it was a constant part of the Frontier Section skyline while I worked at the park and I would see it every morning. I guess I am just being sentimental, but then again, that is why we are at GAH, right?

as an operator for this ride in its early years, i was sad to see it go, i will always love this ride as i was one of the operators for the opening season and next. i think ive ridden viper well over 500 times in its life, and it was rough. i bid the farewell!

Very awsome spotlight! I rode Viper 3 or 4 times while it was there. Racing through the rings were just like no other coaster (except Ultra Twister) experience.I had to ride it once every time we visted just to zoom through those rings.It was rough but so are some wooden coasters.Last I road it was 98 or 99.So I didn't ride it at its worst and when we went in 01 it was closed so I bought a Viper T-shirt and post card just in case they were to remove it in the future.

• 2 months later...

one thing that i noticed you didnt mention in the spotlight,and you may not have known, was that viper went through rollers on a regular basis, there were days when we would transfer cars 3-4 times a day for wheels. as an operator we didnt mind the down time, it was a hectic ride to operatte, the load and unload zones were confusing to the guests because they would leave itewms up near the load area then get off in the back of the station not realizing that they loaded in the front, people were constantly where they shouldnt be.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hit 54" in 2001. But, I never went to Great Adventure until 2009. The funny thing I really liked on this spotlight is the little statement "Viper, which many coaster enthusiasts considered one of the worst coasters ever built". That made me laugh! :lol:

Another coaster which many coaster enthusiasts was considered one of the worst ever built was Windjammer Surf Racers, also built by TOGO, at Knott's Berry Farm in California. Known to be a mechanical nightmare, this small racing coaster replaced the popular Wacky Soap Box Racers (a Steeplechase-like roller coaster, only with soap box cars) in 1997. Windjammer has good theme (along with remote control boats underneath the attraction) and logo, but poorly designed restraints, trains that stall at the slightest breeze, and a special effect that sounded good on paper, but never worked in reality. Most of the time during the coaster's short life, only the red track operated, with the yellow suffering greater mechanical problems. The coaster closed for good in March 2000 and demolished in 2001 to make way for a bigger, better improvement: Xcelerator, the world's first hydraulically launched roller coaster designed by Intamin and opened in June 2002.

p376.jpg

Picture copyrighted by Chris Morano and RCDB.