VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Winter Lights

GAcoaster

Six Flags Winter Lights was the parks attempt at extending the season with a drive through light display, and a Holiday Village with food, games and attractions.

20022464mod.jpg

Answer to the trivia question:

The picture is from Six Flags Power Plant. That picture is PT Flaggs, the Power Plant "owner", and the plant is in the background.

Great spotlight, they should bring this event back with a portion of the park opened like a different movie in Spongebob 3D

Luis L

BTW: The song in the backround is from a Charlie Brown Christmas

Edited by Luis L

:mellow: I remember wanting to go the Winter Lights but passed on it on both times (either due to no working car at the time or something like that). I thought it was going to continue for a third year but Six Flags pulled a fast one on me. Just went to the Kuser Park Winter Wonderland in Hamilton, NJ and it was how I imagined the Winter Lights must have been like. Great Adventure should bring it back and Six Flags should have all they're parks have one.

Ben.

I was always impressed that Winter Lights was so big in 2002 and even bigger in 2003. In its first year, the number of light displays rivaled the PNC Bank Center drive thru in Holmdel NJ which had been running for several seasons. I guess that's why it came as such a surprise that they "pulled the plug" in 2004.

I was always impressed that Winter Lights was so big in 2002 and even bigger in 2003. In its first year, the number of light displays rivaled the PNC Bank Center drive thru in Holmdel NJ which had been running for several seasons. I guess that's why it came as such a surprise that they "pulled the plug" in 2004.

We just got back from the Holiday Light Spectacular at the PNC Bank Center (Garden Stare Art Center). This was the first time going there after seeing Winter Lights. Needless to say, Great Adventure's display was SO much better. First off, PNC was so much shorter, it had fewer light displays, no radio station, very few themed sectons of light displays, no post-drive thru "village" and the quality of the displays were just too simple. They did have about a half dozen elaborate displays, but nowhere near as nice as Winter Lights.

The number of cars was just incredible. I couldn't help but think that Great Adventure is missing out on an excellent opportunity.

Answer to the trivia question:

The picture is from Six Flags Power Plant. That picture is PT Flaggs, the Power Plant "owner", and the plant is in the background.

Six Flags Winter Lights was the parks attempt at extending the season with a drive through light display, and a Holiday Village with food, games and attractions.

Click here to view the full spotlight!

20022464mod.jpg

This is a nice spotlight!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know I've notices strands of lights that were left in the trees by the entrance.. but they were all cutup from them trimming the trees. And in addition from what I remember, I've seen many of the displays shown in the spotlight at the PNC Bank Arts Center christmas drive thru. Maybe 6flags sold it to them.

Edited by BMax

• 1 month later...

Source: Asbury Park Press

Other lights to be had

December 20, 2009

The Holiday Lights Spectacular at the PNC Bank Arts Center has ended after an 11-year run. For some, the decision by Live Nation to curtail the tradition bordered on a crime against the spirit of the season. For others, it marked the well-deserved culmination of an overpriced rip-off.

The declining attendance figures over the years suggest it won't be universally missed. As recently as seven years ago, more than 100,000 vehicles took the two-mile drive past the nearly 200 displays. Last year, only about 10,000 vehicles paid the $15 admission to view the more than 1 million lights.

Live Nation, which operates the PNC Bank Arts Center, said the holiday display simply lost its appeal with the passage of time. "Our research into this type of event showed a similar life cycle for holiday events, with a rise and decline in attendance over time," spokesman Jim Steen said.

Some say the holiday display lost its appeal because Live Nation's heart wasn't in it. That may or may not be so. But the bottom line for Live Nation was that it was losing money. Lack of profitability also doomed a similar holiday lights show at Great Adventure in Jackson, which operated for two years before being canceled in 2004.

Many recall the arts center holiday displays with fondness. The giant holiday angels, snowmen and carolers. The starbursts, reindeer and depiction of the 12 Days of Christmas. Some years, there were hay rides, ice skating and a holiday village where kids could meet and have their pictures taken with Santa, roast marshmallows and go on free kiddie rides.

For some, the end of the tradition is worth lamenting. For others, there is a better option: Walking around the neighborhood and getting a close-up look at the many inventive, often spectacular displays. There seems to be at least one Griswold family on every block.

It's healthier and more invigorating than driving, it's free and it better reflects the genuine spirit of the holidays.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...