VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Walt Disney World to get a new Fantasyland!

With very few changes since the park opened, Walt Disney World's Fantasyland is probably the area of the Magic Kingdom most in need of a rehab. If plans circulating around the web are any indication, it looks like big changes are on the way!

As a point of reference, the Carousel located in the lower left is still in its current spot so most of the rehab occurs on the east side of the land. The west side of Fantasyland (Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, etc) remains with a medieval theme and is separated from the rest of the new sections of Fantasyland by a "Castle Wall".

gallery_2_43_92447.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Looks like it is going to takeover Toontown as well? Not that I really care since it should never been around longer than it was originally going to be (I remember it was supposed to be temporary). Other than Barnstormer, there wasn't really anything that great there and Barnstormer usually has a longer wait than the ride is worth.

• 4 months later...
Great news. Kind of wishing that they would build a new Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

As awesome as that would be it will never happen. On the Keys to the Kingdom Tour the guide brought up if we knew why the ride was removed. The guide said there were 2 main reasons the ride was removed. First thing she did was to ask everyone in the tour to name characters from Wind In The Willows. Other than Mr. Toad and a weasel, I had no idea and no one else could name any other characters. They said Winnie The Pooh is more recgonized by people so that is 1 reason they got rid of Mr. Toad. The 2nd reason the guide said was how when you died and went to hell at the end of the ride, it wasn't family friendly.

I'm not sure how much I buy into that because if it really wasn't family friendly, they would have gotten rid of it at Disneyland too.

They also said the reason 20,000 Leagues was closed was because the subs were not handicap accessible but I'm not sure if I believe that was the main reason, I remember reading the cost and upkeep of the ride was the real reason.

Edited by Yoshi

As awesome as that would be it will never happen. On the Keys to the Kingdom Tour the guide brought up if we knew why the ride was removed. The guide said there were 2 main reasons the ride was removed. First thing she did was to ask everyone in the tour to name characters from Wind In The Willows. Other than Mr. Toad and a weasel, I had no idea and no one else could name any other characters. They said Winnie The Pooh is more recgonized by people so that is 1 reason they got rid of Mr. Toad. The 2nd reason the guide said was how when you died and went to hell at the end of the ride, it wasn't family friendly.

I'm not sure how much I buy into that because if it really wasn't family friendly, they would have gotten rid of it at Disneyland too.

If Disney cares so much about character relevance, they would've closed Splash Mountain years ago (Little if anybody is familiar with Song of the South). If they want to make "Wind in the Willows" relevant today, they need to rerelease the featurette in theaters and show it before one of Disney's crappy live action movies (If shown before a Miley Cyrus or Jonas Bros. movie, they would probably publicize the short as much as the paying feature). Though being that Disney likes to ruin the classics, they will probably dub Basil Rathbone's narration over with either Daniel Radcliffe or Robert Patterson *shudders*

Edited by MarioSonic94

That's a good point and another reason I now question what the guide said for reasons they closed the ride. They really need to release Song of the South on DVD, crazy how they base one of the most popular rides in the park that no one has seen.

Plus Mr. Toad always had some kind of line so it wasn't like it wasn't popular even if not many knew the film. I would have liked to have questioned the guide on why Disneyland kept their ride if it was a problem with the ending but I felt like I shouldn't.

It comes down to economics...how many Wind in the Willows plush/keychains/mugs/T-shirts/other crap can they sell. Winnie the Pooh (just like the princesses) makes them TONS of money in overpriced souvenirs. Wind in the Willows never did. People loved the ride, but they didn't buy souvenirs. If Splash Mountain wasn't their only water ride, you can bet it would suffer the same fate if they could (cheaply) replace it with something that made them more money. Mr. Toad's building could easily be turned into another dark ride, so they did. This is why the 20,000 Leagues show building is turning into a Princess attraction as well.

They really need to release Song of the South on DVD, crazy how they base one of the most popular rides in the park that no one has seen.

With people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson running around, it's pretty obvious that Song of the South will NEVER be released on DVD. In fact, it hasn't been released on any form of home video in the past three decades. Well, in the U.S that is

Edited by MarioSonic94

While DL kept their Mr Toad, they did away with Country Bears so Pooh could replace them. I guess they kept Mr Toad because it is one of the original dark rides. Anyway here is a list of their names, Toad, Moley, Ratty, Cyril (Toad's horse), MacBadger, and Mr. Winkie (human bartender who frames Toad).

Splash Mountain is one of the most popular rides in the Magic Kingdom, because it is a great ride. The ride and it's theming are very well done and people don't really care that they do not know the story in advance. They feel as if the ride is the basis for the characters, not the movie they actually came from. Also, Zip A Dee Doo Da is a popular Disney song, because it is fun, not because people remember it from the movie.

The movie is a shameful part of Disney's past. Maybe someday it will be released for historical purposes, but I doubt it.

The ride stands on it's own without a need to be tied to a movie. Mr Toad's Wild Ride was not a great ride. It was a boring flat ride past cardboard cut outs that could not interest people without a movie tie-in. Only hard-core Disney entusiasts cared about the ride, because of sentimentality. Even they knew the ride was not good.

I guess they kept Mr Toad because it is one of the original dark rides.

Actually the reason is that Cali's Mr. Toad is a ride that's sucessfully made use of limited space. It would be impossible to make a replacement ride with the type of space the ride has.

It comes down to economics...how many Wind in the Willows plush/keychains/mugs/T-shirts/other crap can they sell. Winnie the Pooh (just like the princesses) makes them TONS of money in overpriced souvenirs. Wind in the Willows never did. People loved the ride, but they didn't buy souvenirs. If Splash Mountain wasn't their only water ride, you can bet it would suffer the same fate if they could (cheaply) replace it with something that made them more money. Mr. Toad's building could easily be turned into another dark ride, so they did. This is why the 20,000 Leagues show building is turning into a Princess attraction as well.

Look at Mr.Toad's Wild ride and Winne the pooh. Toad was replaced by the Winnie the pooh ride AND a gift shop. there was definetely enough space that one of the tracks could have been retained while the other was turned into the Winnie the pooh ride. This could have happened, and would have pleased everybody, but they choose the gift shop. Wich would give more revune? A gift shop, or another ride?