VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Walt Disney World to get a new Fantasyland!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Disney is hoping that both areas will be stiff competition... but this expansion won't be complete for another year or so, and Universal is moving very quickly with Potter phase II.

Got ya.I don't really see Avatar or Fantasy Land expansion being a huge competitor to Potter with the following it has even after the series has ended.I'm really stoked on an announcement for Phase II to see any concept artwork they release,these new rides are supposed to be even more cutting edge than Forbidden Journey.Disney really has it's work cut out for them with what Comcast is doing for the Resort.

• 9 months later...

I realize change is sometimes necessary,but I have a few concerns/complaints:

-Do they really need TWO Dumbo rides?

-Couldn't they have kept Snow White's Scary Adventures and have the mine train go over/under/behind it?

-Couldn't they have kept one side of Mr. Toad?If it's not "culturally relevant" then just re-broadcast "The Wind In The Willows" on all those networks Disney owns now and upgrade the ride's scenery.And I call BS like a MF when they say the ride's end isn't family friendly:I first rode it when I was around 10 years old with my father,and we got a good laugh out of the idea of "dying" and "going to hell".

I realize change is sometimes necessary,but I have a few concerns/complaints:

-Do they really need TWO Dumbo rides?

-Couldn't they have kept Snow White's Scary Adventures and have the mine train go over/under/behind it?

-Couldn't they have kept one side of Mr. Toad?If it's not "culturally relevant" then just re-broadcast "The Wind In The Willows" on all those networks Disney owns now and upgrade the ride's scenery.And I call BS like a MF when they say the ride's end isn't family friendly:I first rode it when I was around 10 years old with my father,and we got a good laugh out of the idea of "dying" and "going to hell".

The new mine train ride actually has nothing to do with the removal of Snow White's Scary Adventures. I believe it's supposed to be replaced with a character meet and greet area, which is even worse. And Mr. Toad has been gone for a long time now. I don't think there's any chance of a return to its original state. I rode Disneyland's and I must say, they should have kept the ride. And while the idea of two Dumbo rides does seem a little silly, because of its high appeal to guests a covered queue with a higher capacity ride system (two of them) isn't that bad of a move.

Just a little thought of my own - even though the "New" Fantasyland has now been opened, it is really not finished at all. I came back from a trip a few weeks ago, and it seems like Disney just rushed its opening to get it out to the public. The map shows it covered in trees like a forest. But it was dreadfully hot during the day with little to no shade at times, so I hope they work on the landscaping a little more. It does have potential, but it seemed like a bit of false advertising once I finally got to see it.

QFT

In all seriousness, if they do bring it back (which is one hell of a long shot), it probably won't be like the original WDW Toad. As a result, there will be a lot of Disney fanboys bitching about how they fixed something that wasn't broken. Just look at their reaction to Disneyland's refurbished It's a Small World.

They took out Toad for Pooh...and why? Because they sell a lot more Pooh crap than they ever sold of Toad merchandise. It all comes down to how can they squeeze a few more dollars out of each guest. That's why Snow White is being replaced by a princess meet & greet. More pictures to sell, more princess merchandise to sell.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I rode the new Little Mermaid ride there and it's just a carbon copy of the one at DCA, except the queue is about 10 times longer :eek: . Thankfully it was just a walk on wait when I was there, still took forever to walk though it. It is a real shame they took out Snow White for a stupid meet and greet area.

Back when I was a kid going to WDW, I knew who captin Nemo and Mr Toad was since the Disney channel used to show classic stuff like that.

• 9 months later...

well, I am going down in December for school music department(#vacation), now we have Disney springs and Avatar projects in full swing; wonder what will happen at EPCOT because the last big change was mission space, Ellen's energy adventure, and the closure of WoL. then there is the rumor of maelstrom closing going around. What do you guys think?

EPCOT just keeps getting worse and worse (and their attendance is showing it now too). The recent management change doesn't look like it's helping with longtime favorite shows being replaced with new (cheaper) ones.

In the mean time the hard ticket events keep selling out with guests willing to pay a LOT of money just for some character meet & greets. The Villains event at Studios the other day was a big deal (and a huge disaster according to many attendees), but they made a stack of cash at $65 a ticket for a few hours of villain shows and meet & greets. They just announced a $99 add on for the Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween (which is already a $65 ticket) and they did the hard ticket events at DAK all summer with celebrity narrators for the Festival of the Lion King which all sold out (at $149 a ticket). People are sheep who just can't wait to give Disney more money to get a picture with a costumed character making barely above minimum wage and getting pre-printed autograph cards.

Hey don't hate on Epcot, but as an avid Disney fan I agree with EVERYTHING gacoasters saying. I'm in the business owls so I understand WHY Disneys doing things like many hard ticket events/less rides, but if ANY other theme park in the world without the "Disney" name charges anywhere near $99 a ticket, the public would be demanding the biggest and best rides coming out the wazoo. But they can get away with it simply because heir Disney, nay let me rephrase that Disney WORLD. If it had the same local based clientele as Disneyland the Magic Kingdom would have more than 3 good e-ticket rides, epcot wouldn't be the worlds largest shopping mall, DHS and DAK would have more than 12 total rides between them. The late Eisner era tactics are ruining WDW and sadly Iger isn't doing much to stop it. They have the money, and after seeing DCA and Tokyo Disneysea don't you dare say they don't have ideas or bing up they can't use Marvel IPs, but as long as there's a 6 year old kid beginning to go to Disney World with upper middle class parents willing to give an arm and leg, nothing's changing.

As for epcot, rumors are Maelstorm is getting replaced by a Frozen ride. I hate hate hate hate hate hate Maelstorm, almost as much as Stitchs Great Mistake, but just throwing an idea out there, how about a Matterhorn clone themed to Frozen? You remember the old Duck take cartoons were Scrooge Mcduck dove into a out of gold coins? That's be what's Iger would do if Epcot built this.