VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Grand Prix

GAcoaster

The fair I just went to in Duren actually had something similar to it. I never even knew that Great Adventure had these or I would of taken pictures of it.

5254_517586587169_199800778_30813795_5378923_n.jpg

You can see it right behind the white tent.

I rode this as a kid. The track was not flat, you had to get up that first hill after the start as you turned left. I think there were problems with some cars not making it up. It was a very slight incline, however - and then you came down the hill in the last turn.

The Mike Douglas Show went to Great Adventure in the mid 70s - may have even been 74 or 75. I don't remember if it was a whole week, but may have been. One of the segments featured the Grand Prix. I believe Mike raced against someone - Mario Andretti, maybe, No - one of the Unsers, I think. Anyway, you get the idea. It was a cool ride.

• 1 month later...

Way back in the early 80s I obtained my first copy of Great Adventure's original souvenir booklet - the yellow one with the hot air balloon on the cover. I studied each and every photo in that book for hours on end. One of the hardest photos to really appreciate was the Grand Prix ride simply because it was one of the smallest images (see below). Even several weeks ago when we did the Grand Prix Spotlight, all we had was a zoomed in scan of that particular photo.

GA0014-web_small.jpg

Well, if you are curious to see what this Grand Prix photo looks like in all its 35mm glory, click HERE and double click the image to see it in full screen! It is a beautiful thing!

• 3 months later...

Photos of some attractions are really rare so I always like it when we run across a shot of a ride tucked away in the background of a photograph. In this photo taken from the fountain you can see the Grand Prix ride off in the distance, on the site currently occupied by the Buccaneer ride!

gallery_2_43_362093.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Taken from the patio of Gingerbread Fancy, this view gives a great perspective of where the Grand Prix was originally located. In today's word it would have been where the Tornado Snacks and wooden sign shop are located (just to the left of the Heist/Kingpin games building).

gallery_2_579_764638.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...