VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fort

29yrswithaGApass

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe sometime the park will fix up the Fort, being the great park original it is. They also can't run the risk of it deteriorating with the rides it houses, any faults with the Fort closes them both.

• 2 weeks later...
TO: WesternCablesRule

Can you provide us with any info on the Fort that you may have picked up during your years working there? What's it like under the Skyride station?

On Western cables 'B' side catching area, there was a door that had a small, pie shaped wooden platform where you could fit only a couple of people on, the rest was a big pit beneath with a ladder going up to the tower. It was dark, lots of trash at the bottom of the pit. Under the station, the counter weights, when I used to smoke, my lead and our sup would have smoke breaks down there. I remember there were a couple of union meetings down there as well. I believe that grounds had one of their meeting areas there at one point as well. Dirty, lots of cigarette butts. You could see people at night through the logs from the entrance queue line as well. When I pulled double shifts, I was down there at least once a day to perform the limit checks on the counter weights.

In the tower, I remember stories about monkeys hiding up there that the safari staff had to retrieve once in a while. One time, we had to shut down B side due to a raccoon sitting way above the loading area, safari came to get him. He was just hanging out in the rafters.

Edited by WesternCablesRule

• 1 month later...

I have notice that the Skyride station section of the fort is mostly concrete with a wooden fort facade, I don't know how Runaway's station is built. Also anybody else notice the little windows with glass over the fake cannons? It would be cool to be able to walk around the top, I always wondered about that since the Fort looked like it was designed to allow that. But I can see why the park choose to not have people go up there because there would be jerks who would spit and other nasty stuff.

Edited by The Master

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the reason to those upper decks never opening to the public you say? Safety concerns, or just now storage for lighting and such? unsure.gif

Common sense is my guess.

If they were open, it would be another place to loiter, smoke pot, throw stuff down at passers by...

Common sense is my guess.

If they were open, it would be another place to loiter, smoke pot, throw stuff down at passers by...

Don't forget about spiting on people below! You even have to be careful about it walking under the brake run for Runaway Mine Train.

Don't forget about spiting on people below! You even have to be careful about it walking under the brake run for Runaway Mine Train.

Absolutely. Considering the Runaway Mine Train is seen by many as a thrill ride for the younger park patrons, it really is sad that you have to be careful about stuff like that. Although I am sure safety is always going to be the main reason, there is no denying that not having those areas open saves so much more trouble for park security.

• 5 months later...

When my Parent's took me on Opening Weekend in "74" (I was 4) They said they were given a Free Ticket to return because all the Attraction's were not open yet. But even though everything wasn't open yet, it was still very crowded. And that Warner himself was there greeting Guest's and just mingling with the Crowd's.

February 1974?? Wow I didn't know that. You mean before then, they hadn't started any of the iconic buildings or structures?

Yeah, actual ground clearing and on-site construction didn't start on the Enchaned Forest until February 1974. That is not to say that off-site prep of buidling components such as the candy columns of the Yum Yum Palace and the BOTW logs didn't start before that. Work on the Safari started several months earlier in August 1973.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Okay firstoff id like to apologize for i believe this post is in the wrong place....

but on the other hand, i am doing a pretty comprehensive report on the design aspects of 'The Fort', the structure that houses the skyride and RMT. I'm interested in the stuff you as the guest dont see, being stairwells and underlaying aspects of the building. I have been examining the building from as many views as possible and after a loooooongg time of thinking the whole thing out, i have made a simple diagram of the fort from how i believe everything is on the inside. Also, another thing that makes this more enjoyable to research is the fact that they originally intended to have guests access the catwalks above the towers, so from the looks of it the insides were designed to meet those requirements. I'm showing off what i believe may make up the interior. Please note that I am making assumptions and have no knowledge outside the guests view. On the same hand, do not encourage anyone to take it upon themselves to access any backstage areas within the structure.

Here are the two diagrams i quickly mocked up: P.S. thanks greatadventurehistory.com :D

fort-north.jpg

^

The 'half level walkway' i believe was intended to serve as guest access to tower 1, where there would be stairs running up the inside to the top catwalks. The guests would then also have access to tower 2 catwalks via the bridge. There is a door on the bottom of tower 2 that would give guests the ability to access the half walkway through a small set of stairs at the base of tower 2. Since I do not believe there are stairs inside tower 2 leading to the catwalks, the guests would most likely use the half walkway, as well as the stairs inside tower 1, as access to and from the catwalks.

Today, i think the stairs exist inside the base of tower 1 to the half level walkway. The walkway itself however only services the skyride. There is a doorway on the skyride station platform, leading into tower 1, and i believe that this door goes to the stairs that run from the lower levels to the catwalks above. Inside the lower levels, we probably all know that the massive counterweights sit down there on their pulley systems. There is most likely maintenance, electrical, and storage rooms down here as well as well as possible offices. Also in that doorway at the base of tower 2, i believe there may be some sort of access to the lower levels--mainly because since the doorway was never actually used for guests they probably would use it for team member/maintenance access. I do not think there are stairs inside tower 2, mainly because they cannot exit through those doors at the base of the tower. There is most likely some kind of access to a large room inside the tower (again maybe maintenance/electrical/storage). And obviously there are the catwalks above tower 2.

fort-west.jpg

^

For towers 3 & 4, inside tower 3 we have the skyride exit stairwell, leading from the ride platform to the pathway. However, i have noticed there is a small access door in the ceiling of the exit stairs (look closely there is also a ladder built into the wall to access to door [which is like an attic door]). What's above the exit stairs i have no clue. Then there are catwalks above the tower. In tower 3, i believe stairs run from the pathway (which there is a door at the base of the tower) to the catwalks above. Then the catwalks connect via the bridge so again the guests use the same tower for entry/exit.

Please, please, please comment and give your opinions/facts on the building! I would eventually like to develop a blueprint for the building for this report. It really is a beautiful and complex structure.

~Dan

I have a pic. of the inside of the "Tower" that is to the left of the pathway that takes you into the "Fort". I just have to find it, on my PC. I could E-Mail it to you, but it can't be posted here. As long as I can find it, it might be in my old PC, not sure.