VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Point's Demon Drop Approved for Dorney Park

GAcoaster

I just read something interesting from Screamscape's Twitter feed...after the outcry over Cedar Point sending their INTAMIN 1st generation Freefall "Demon Drop" as a "new" ride for Knott's, it may be coming to Dorney instead?

Supposedly it's because of Knott's proximity to SFMM, but Dorney is almost as close to GA as Knott's is to MM (driving distance of 53 miles vs. 62 miles but in reality I think Dorney is closer to GA as the crow flies than KBF is to MM).

All I can say is if this is true, it will be good for a laugh at this year's Eastcoaster! :lol:

I never got to ride Stuntman's Freefall so I would like to see the ride come to Dorney but on the other hand it does seem kind of silly with Dominator already in the park.

edit - looks like it is really going to be at Dorney

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dorney_park.htm

Edited by Yoshi

You can only ride once in a row, unless you count rides in a row including having exit the ride and walk around each time.

Dorney has a strict no re-ride policy. There have been times where I have been the only one on a coaster and I still wasn't allowed to re-ride. It is a very annoying policy and just one more to add to the rules of stupid Cedar Fair polices like the new no single rider rule on the Scrambler when Eli Bridge says single riders are ok if the ride has seatbelts. Or how only 1 adult per row is allowed on Camp Bus even though the weight limit is 440 pounds per row and Great Adventure doesn't have the same rule on Daffy's Divers.

Also, the rumor is that the Krazy Kars (bumper cars) could be removed for Demon Drop. I can't believe both my home parks are not going to have bumper cars now and both were removed within a few seasons of each other :(

Edited by Yoshi

• 2 weeks later...

It's now official from Cedar Point's blog, Dorney is getting Demon Drop for 2010...

We also have an update on where it's going. We can confirm that it's not going to Knott's Berry Farm in California as originally stated.

NBP796.jpg

After consideration of the aesthetics, geography and use of the land near the proposed ride area, it was decided that it will be better suited for our sister park, Dorney Park in Allentown, PA.

I drove by the park today, no ride vehicles in the parking lot but lots of track, more than what is in the pictures. Even though it was only 26 out, I really could have used a couple of laps on Talon and Steel Force.

Edited by Yoshi

I hope they don't remove the Krazy Kars, it's such a cool ride. Also Dorney has that asinine no aqua soxs down their water slides rule beside the no re-ride.

Unfortunately it looks like it is going to happen. The Whitehall township meeting that is either coming up soon or just happened showed Dorney wanting approval to remove the Krazy Kars. If they got Geauga Lake's bumper cars, it wouldn't be so bad but I don't think that is going to happen.

I am also not expecting it but it would be nice to see the new owners of CF get rid of the pointless rules that they had added to the parks.

I'm mostly indifferent about this ride coming to Dorney. It's an OK ride and I'll go on it once in a while, but I don't really understand the logic of moving the ride here. I'm most disappointed about the loss of the Krazy Cars. I enjoyed those bumper cars, especially since there aren't many left like those.

I'm sure that any of Dorney's guests who are familiar with Great Adventure are going to think Dorney got GA's ride. :D

I'm mostly indifferent about this ride coming to Dorney. It's an OK ride and I'll go on it once in a while, but I don't really understand the logic of moving the ride here.

I agree, it isn't going to be that popular of a ride when Dominator has already been in the park for 10 years.