VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gingerbread Fancy (AKA Granny's)

GAcoaster

Nice spotlight, I remember Granny in the rocking chair. One side of Gingerbread Fancy was used as a boarding area for the Hayride for a few years and one year the porch had animatronic skeletons for a little preshow that you watched while waiting in the queue.

I've always liked the look and lights of "Gingerbread Fancy". In an area of the park that seems engulfed in darkness (or worse, xenon lighting), it stands out and commands my attention with its incandescent beauty. As for the buffet, they can keep it. That food isn't worth $14, or even $8. It's a shame this facility is wasted serving sub-par pedestrian food. I'd sooner take the trip to KFC on 537 even if the prices were higher.

Great Adventure desperately needs a table service restaurant, and this facility would be a perfect test bed. Sadly, the food service department is either not equipped to furnish such an operation, or lacks the leadership initiative to try. A well run, table service facility served with HIGH QUALITY food (even at a further premium price) is a potential gold mine. Sadly, nobody running Six Flags (including the Premier Parks people I so adore to the annoyance of many here*) has tried this at the park.

(Said partially tongue-in-cheek, hoping people find some self-deprecating humor and not interpreting it as an insult to anyone)

I should add I always love the GAH Spotlights (including this one). This site never disappoints.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Agree! Ive always thought more of a cross over between that and The Crystal Room at Tavern on the Green. And Do do wish that would make it over into a full service sit down. the room is there in the back they built enough space for a full service kitchen..

Just curious why GA never thought it was worth trying a full sit-down restaurant. And I assume the dining pass could not be used if they did convert to this format.

I'd estimate the cost for a family of four would be in the order of $100 to eat dinner there. So I would think the profit margin would be significant.

Do they not have the type of trained staff to work and manage a sit-down restaurant?

Edited by dougdrummer

I think it's one of those things they just never found there was a market for at the park. Even from the beginning Warner LeRoy saw it more of a take-out picnic thing than a sit down experience.

He did a Tavern on the Green Picnic food truck back in the 1970's:

gallery_1_4_36624.jpg

I think it's one of those things they just never found there was a market for at the park. Even from the beginning Warner LeRoy saw it more of a take-out picnic thing than a sit down experience.

He did a Tavern on the Green Picnic food truck back in the 1970's:

gallery_1_4_36624.jpg

isn't there some type of food truck event upcoming?

Just curious why GA never thought it was worth trying a full sit-down restaurant. And I assume the dining pass could not be used if they did convert to this format.

I'd estimate the cost for a family of four would be in the order of $100 to eat dinner there. So I would think the profit margin would be significant.

Do they not have the type of trained staff to work and manage a sit-down restaurant?

I think a big issue right now is that they don't have enough staff. They can't even staff the food locations they have now. (And it's not because they cut staffing, they literally can't find enough employees)