VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Photo Trip Report: Nov 28th, 2009 - Tavern on the Green

29yrswithaGApass

This past Saturday I made a trip to Tavern on the Green in NYC. Warner LeRoy started redesigning this restaurant the same time that Great Adventure was opening its gates in 1974. Here are some sample photos, but you can view them all in the Warner LeRoy's Tavern on the Green album.

gallery_2_43_478808.jpg

gallery_2_43_207871.jpg

gallery_2_43_733218.jpg

gallery_2_43_1109016.jpg

gallery_2_43_72749.jpg

gallery_2_43_481017.jpg

In a portrait hall, the photo below referenced Great Adventure. I am not sure of the connection to the park.
gallery_2_43_82089.jpg

gallery_2_43_513089.jpg

This past Saturday I made a trip to Tavern on the Green in NYC. Warner LeRoy started redesigning this restaurant the same time that Great Adventure was opening its gates in 1974. Here are some sample photos, but you can view them all in the Warner LeRoy's Tavern on the Green album.

In a portrait hall, the photo below referenced Great Adventure. I am not sure of the connection to the park.

gallery_2_43_513089.jpg

It looks like it's along the waterfront somewhere...probably his OTHER theme park project for Liberty State Park that was never built.

^ I was thinking maybe it was some sort of off-site quarry they used to bring in dirt and stones for fill and the parking lot, especially since a portion of the parking lot in 1974 was gravel. It sort of looks like the New Brunswick area.

Another thing that reminded me of GA were the lanterns hanging in the trees. Great Adventure had those too in 1974 in the wooded area where FlashPass now stands.

gallery_2_43_1109016.jpg

gallery_2_10_246284.jpg

hey Harry, the fountian thats in the park today, that isnt the original one is it? and if it isnt is the one we have now smaller, in the pic the fountian looks much larger than what we have now.

In 1994, the fountain was replaced with the current one which is much smaller than the original. It was altered to allow for better traffic flow especially after the addition of all the new shops on Main Street.

• 8 years later...
On 12/1/2009 at 6:29 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Another thing that reminded me of GA were the lanterns hanging in the trees. Great Adventure had those too in 1974 in the wooded area where FlashPass now stands.

gallery_2_43_1109016.jpg

gallery_2_10_246284.jpg

Here is a picture that I have never seen before and I wish this was of better quality.  In the lower right corner you can see the lanterns in the trees by the fountain illuminated at dusk.  These only existed for the 1974 season and were removed when the seafood stand (now Primo's Pizzeria Liberty Square) was added.

EB_1974_11_09_IMG092 copy.jpg

Sure must havd looked nice at night. Though the fabric construction probably weathered quickly. Disneyland has lanterns over their uncovered Tea Cups but they are made of hard plastic rather than paper or fabric. 

• 4 weeks later...

When the park first opened there was a lot of cross referances to Tavern on the Green..And yes the first year the park was truly magical...Thats why some of old timers think GA today while good is nothing more then ....

• Like 1

• 3 years later...