VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

WANTED: 1975 Pamphlet Map

29yrswithaGApass

WANTED: Based on a small piece of a pamphlet I recenly obtained, there appears to have been a 1975 pamphlet that has the attractions and guest services labled. On the reverse side is the Great Advventure name in color spectrum logo.

If you have this pamphlet, I'd be interested in trading for it or obtaining a scan or photocopy of it.

gallery_2_32_630271.jpg

I might actually have that...if it's the one I'm thinking of. Two years ago I found a pair of ticket stubs from one of the first seasons and a small map at a flea market and bought them for a dollar. If I remember correctly, the map was small and unimpressive. I'll have to try and find it...

• 2 weeks later...

That small section of the pamphlet I posted above was used as a label on a canister of 8mm film of Great Adventure in 1975. I sent it away and should have it back this weekend from the photo center that is converting it to digital. It has some wonderful footage and we'll be sure to share it in our galleries.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to the generosity of our member "jerzijack" we are happy to say that we now have a copy of the 1975 pamphlet guide map in our collection! The guide map contains several unique graphics and was produced by Zelenko Associates. Harry and Marion Zelenko were the artists behind the park's signature hot air balloon/tiger logo found on many early souvenirs.

Oddly, the map of Fun Fair in the pamphlet does not feature the Jumbo Jet rollercoaster, but instead the area is designated as "Super Cat". This version of the pamphlet is labeled "B" on the cover. It is quite possible that there was an "A" version that included the Jumbo Jet. (If anyone has a copy of the "A" version, we'd love to see it!)

We plan on sharing this pamphlet and pamphlets from all of the other 35 seasons as we celebrates the Park's 36th annniversary and GreatAdventureHistory.com's 3rd anniversary on July 1st!

gallery_2_43_759877.jpg

• 2 months later...
That small section of the pamphlet I posted above was used as a label on a canister of 8mm film of Great Adventure in 1975. I sent it away and should have it back this weekend from the photo center that is converting it to digital. It has some wonderful footage and we'll be sure to share it in our galleries.

Did you ever post that 8mm film?

also where can i view that map?

• 8 months later...

After searching for almost a year, I am happy to say I obtained a copy of "Version A" of the 1975 Guide Map. Click HERE to check out a side by side comparison of the two dramatically different versions of these booklets. You can't judge a pamphlet by its cover!

Harry:

Any thoughts on the logic behind version B of this guide? If I were a first time guest to the park at that time and received version B, I'm not sure where I would even begin to explore the park. There just doesn't seem to be any logic to it. I'd like to know if you have been able to make any sense of it?

Actually, on closer inspection, I guess that version B makes more sense (at least from the overall map), but the order of presentation (of the various park areas) that follows is completely out of wack!

Edited by Daved Thomson

^ Other than the numbering of the sections, versions A and B are identical. The only reason I can think a version B was printed was because version A was poorly put together. For instance, on the right side of the "This Way" page the names of the sections of the park are cropped off. Also, the pages don't properly align at the binding.

Maybe there was a perfectionist in charge of printed media that demanded they be reprinted. ???

^ Yep, that is the 1975 General Park Brochure that included the artist rendering for the season.

We have proof that the Jumbo Jet was installed at the park (although it may have never opened), so I am curious to see if there is a variation of the in-park guide that includes the coaster.

For those of you who like details....

On the maps there are several little icons listed as "Show Board". Below are photos of two of these three sided signs which had show times posted on them. The images are a little blurry because they are screen captures from an 8mm movie.

gallery_2_579_41959.jpg

gallery_2_579_615681.jpg

I remember studying this map before that season began. Some pretty funny stuff when looking back on it now.

The Suspension is the Rotor, Screamer is the the Jumbo Jet and Moving is the Enterprise.

Did the Waltzer and Swing ever exist? Don't recall that and I have a good memory of the park's original days.

With the Balloon, it never was where it was stated in that map. Neither was the Enterprise. The Balloon was down by where the Parachuter's Perch is currently located and the Enterprise was over in Fun Fair.

I remember studying this map before that season began. Some pretty funny stuff when looking back on it now.

The Suspension is the Rotor, Screamer is the the Jumbo Jet and Moving is the Enterprise.

Did the Waltzer and Swing ever exist? Don't recall that and I have a good memory of the park's original days.

With the Balloon, it never was where it was stated in that map. Neither was the Enterprise. The Balloon was down by where the Parachuter's Perch is currently located and the Enterprise was over in Fun Fair.

I don't see the Balloon anywhere on the the 1975 guides that we're talking about. I believe the 1975 brochure (map) showed the Balloon over by the Hydro Flume. Regardless, I don't think the Balloon really made that many appearances at the park. I remember my neighbor going to the park the first day it opened in 1974 and mentioning what a difficult time they were having keeping it in place. They went again during the 1975 season and said the Balloon was nowhere to be found. I know we have seen a number of park pictures with the Balloon in place, but it really must have been difficult, expensive, and a real safety issue given the density of the forest at that time. I know when I went for the first time in 1977, the Balloon was nowhere to be found and by that time the park had even eliminated it as its logo.