VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Big Fury

I have often wondered whether these three buildings had anything to do with Big Fury. They are possibly original structures and would have been located right around the rear of the coaster ride. Unlike many of the similar structures that were once found around the park for ground crews, these seemed to have been used for electrical/power supply.

gallery_2_513_299781.jpg

gallery_2_513_234703.jpg

Interesting spotlight, I didn't realize the park had another coaster besides Runaway Mine Train in its opening year.

I know I would probably feel different if I was alive in the 1970's before companies like B&M were around, but today those type of coasters aren't that exciting to me like the Pinfari and Flitzer at Morey's Piers and are something I only ride since there isn't amazing coasters everywhere you turn like now at Great Adventure.

Edited by Yoshi

• 3 months later...

I snapped this shot of Keansburg's Wildcat. Their ride model was originally built in 1969 but installed decades later at their park.

gallery_2_43_852981.jpg

Previous post referenced below:

Over the years Great Adventure installed two different portable roller coasters on the same site, roughly the spot behind today's Chiller station. The first was a red track "Big Fury" coaster which opened late in the 1974 season and operated throughout 1977. In 1978 it was replaced with a blue track "Wild Rider" roller coaster which operated until the 1980 season, was SBNO in 1981, and removed just prior to the start of the 1982 season.

Roller Coaster Database (RCDB.com) has the following comments listed for the history of Great Adventure's Wild Rider (aka Wildcat) coaster:

It is rumored that this Wildcat is now at Keansburg Amusement Park, in Keansburg, NJ. This information has yet to be confirmed. It is also thought these may be different sized Wildcats, thus making this move impossible even if the color scheme is the same.

After checking out some old photos of both of GA's rides and viewing the Wildcat in Keansburg, the ride definitely is not Great Adventure's Wild Rider (Wildcat) ride although the track and configuration seem very similar to GA's first installation, the Big Fury ride. However, even with this ride there appear to be differences with the track (note the cross bars below).

Great Adventure's Big Fury (1974-1977):

gallery_2_126_414571.jpg

And, Great Adventure's Wild Rider (1978-1980):

gallery_2_49_77463.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok info on Big Fury..yes it was there in 1974 but arrived late..It ws installed at the end of July. It was the bigger version of the coaster and ran with 12 cars. it had two seperate stations a load and unload....And never had the topper on the lift hill. It was run with two cars in each station and the rest on the currect. each car would be released from the station just before the one on the lift crested and once it crested the lift it made the right turn and first dip ..as it turned right again before the second drop the next would clear the lift...thus causing the crossover you see in the pictures...It was interesting to see...how well the operations crew ran it..always watching and making sure that it ran at max. capacity...Needless to say this was a very fast laod unload to keep the timming right. There were no safty breakes only anti roll backs anywere on it. But in all the years one version or the other of this coaster was at the park..never was there a ccident with it. One reason for this choice of coaster was its apperance to a chang Windup toy..roller coaster,,,And thus added to the giant toy box look of Strawberry Fair... :hot_air_balloon:

i think one of the reasons the park has removed so many trees to put up coasters is due to the height and age, large trees potentially falling on the tracks could close a coaster for a season while a new section is made, cheaper not to risk it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Surely this guy was brave enough to ride Big Fury in June of 1975.  After all, he was probably just about 8 years old and already had tattoos!

For reference, he would have been siting on the recently opened walkway between the Big Wheel and the new Fun Fair section of the park.

large.EB_JUN75_01.jpg.05b9f10929ce74cfe5

• Like 1

Just noticed the three utility sheds that were shown in this spotlight. These sheds were located behind the rollercoaster (parallel to it) in a small off-stage area that was also behind Big Wheel Burger, restrooms, Enterprise, Mad Hatter, Musik Express, Swabinchin, and later, Looping Starship. I know that two of the buildings were padlocked and not accessible and had high voltage signs on their front doors. The third building (farthest left in the photo) may also have had power related items in it, but it was definitely used by grounds crews as well for storage purposes and had benches and chairs outside it where grounds crews would often take smoking breaks. This area was also used as a central trash collection point for the area with literally trains of trash cars that would be pulled out at night by the tugs. 

Edited by Daved Thomson

• 6 months later...

During the 1977/1978 off-season, the Big Fury coaster was removed from the park to make way for its replacement, the Wild Rider.  Here are a couple photos from the ride's removal and preparation for the new roller coaster.  It is interesting to note the power sheds from Big Fury remained and still do until this day.

PROOF-KF-314-78A-031 copy.jpg

PROOF-KF-314-78A-034 copy.jpg

2017_04_01_IMG_3771 copy.jpg