VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine Closed

From our friend Angel at Great Adventure:

The Great American Scream Machine will officially close July 18, 2010 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011. We will offer our guests double rides on GA.S.M. Sunday, July 11 and 18. Also, we will be offering an ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) event on July 18 from 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. to invited guests. Any guest interested in the scheduled ERT should become a fan of our Facebook page facebook.com/sixflagsgreatadventure or if they are an ACER (American Coaster Enthusiast member) they can contact their ACE NJ Rep.

We also plan to auction off the front and back row of the last train that will dispatch on July 18 at 11:30 p.m. on Ebay. The rest of the 24 seats of the last dispatched train will be available for $50 each. All proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives.) Further details of the auction will be announced on our Facebook page.

And to assist with some questions that we know will be asked:

Why is the Great American Scream Machine closing?

The Great American Scream Machine will officially close July 18, 2010 to make room for a major new attraction in 2011.

Why are you removing G.A.S.M. to add another attraction…can’t you find another location in the park that is not occupied?

We are constantly re-assessing all our rides and their efficiency in order to maximize our guests’ overall experience. Rides that are a little older, less popular and have a low capacity are always being evaluated, and if removed that area is assessed for future projects, just like in this case with the Great American Scream Machine.

What is the major attraction?

Six Flags will make an announcement later this season. Visit sixflags.com for the latest news and updates.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They told me a few days ago that they would let us know soon what was going to happen with it on their Facebook page. I think it is a fitting "send-off" for it. Sad to see it go, but we are getting a "new" coaster experience (for our park anyway) that is a good thing.

From the Park's Events Facebook page:

Scream Machine Sendoff contest!

Date: Sunday, July 18, 2010

Time: 10:00pm - 11:30pm

.•WHO: 25 winners will be chosen; winners may bring a guest.

•WHAT: Show us your biggest SCREAM face! Post a photo or video of you screaming as though you were on Great American Scream Machine at www.facebook.com/sixflagsgreatadventure. Guests that shoot a SCREAM video or include patriotic items are more likely to be chosen as winners. There is no limit to the amount of entries. Winners will be announced July 15, 2010. Be creative, have fun and keep it clean :)

•WHEN: 10 p.m.-11:30 p.m., July 18, 2010

•WHERE: Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great

Adventure.

•WHY: To make room for a new attraction in 2011, we’re

celebrating Scream Machine with the send off it deserves!

•Event Details:Guests invited to the event will receive ERT (exclusive ride time) from 10 p.m.-11 p.m. Seats on the front and back row of the last train of the last ride (dispatched at 11 p.m.) will be auctioned off; other seats during the last ride will be $50 each—details TBA—and all proceeds will benefit the NRCMA (National Roller Coaster Museum & Archives)!

I'm looking forward to a new real roller coaster, gasm has given us 21 awesome years, I already have my souviner from the ride, I'm now curious how it will be positioned and if we will get a few new paths to golden kingdom. Also are we getting some flats, for the next 2 weeks I'm hitting the park every night. Now I really need to win the 0foursquare contest to get the all year exit pass and a 2011 season pass!

I'm very saddened by this news, but also relieved at the same time. On one hand, it is very sad that the park is losing one of its oldest and more historic rides (once being the tallest & fastest looping coaster ever at its opening), especially for myself since this was the first major coaster I ever rode at the park and I've ridden it at least once during every subsequent time I visited. On the other hand however, the park is making a celebration out of the closing, which is pleasing since Chiller was unexpectedly removed a few years ago. It also makes us more anxious for whatever is coming to the park next year, be it Chang, the 5D thing, or something completely different. Rest in Pieces, GASM.

Chnag is most likely going in Gasm spot. As for the rest of the park...maybe we are getting flats, maybe not. I have no idea seeing as though the world has turned upside down since Weber's been in charge. (Take that as a compliment or a diss)

hey everybody, lets all pool our money, buy Chiller and GASM and set them up in a vacant lot somewhere and creat our own theme park lol

Can I be the head of Ops? A park with 2 coasters over 150ft. opening year is bound for success.

You know, Tom and Harry wrote in the Chiller spotlight that when they demolished Chiller that they threw out all of the bolts. With GASM being such a famous cosater, wouldn't it be wise for the park to sell off the bolts as souvenirs? I'm thinking the bolts are never going to be used again, so it can only help the park make money, selling them like 5 or 10 bucks a peice, and knowing the members of GAHistory as a group, I'm sure we'd buy them, lol

It won't be easy to get a bolt like it was for "Chiller", The ride is far from any paths. I don't think they would sell any, A rusty bolt with chipping paint is not "consumer friendly". lol

Edited by Railer

This is an end of a era, I was not a big fan of GASM but it was the top dog of GADV's coasters for many years. I remember kids and adults would watch GASM's trains run though the course. The park will look strange without GASM.

Yeah, pulling into the lot in the 90's it always looked so big and was the major coaster in the park to me. I used to think you'd have to be crazy to go on a coaster that goes upside down 7 times. Even now, it's the first coaster I usually see after Kingda Ka since I always park on the side of the lot with GASM and Superman.