VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Safari Club

I wasn't a member of the club, but I recall having a styrofoam pith helmet around 1976. I would imagine I received it from someone who may have been a member.

If anyone has a GA Safari helmet and is interesting in parting with it for a trade, please let me know! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a question for some of our park veterans...

Wilden Woolie was the Great Safari Club mascot. Was he created especially for the club or did he exist before 1976 and was just the best fit to become the mascot? I have been looking through old photos, and I believe all the pictures of Wilden Woolie are from 1976 and after???

Steve? Gary? Donald? Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Here is a question for some of our park veterans...

Wilden Woolie was the Great Safari Club mascot. Was he created especially for the club or did he exist before 1976 and was just the best fit to become the mascot? I have been looking through old photos, and I believe all the pictures of Wilden Woolie are from 1976 and after???

Steve? Gary? Donald? AnyoneI was him for the 1976 season. his back story " Sir Wilden Woolie, the big game hunter". He was part of the team that brought the animals from Africa, to the Safari. We also had a corny push cart show. Were Id pull all kinds of bad pun jokes outtof the cart. for example a Gater Snake a cheap plastic snake with miniture gaters on.." Its a snake wearing garters get it a garter Snake"......

I played him and here's his back story " Sir Wilden Woolie, The Big Game Hunter" He was part of the team that brought the animals from Africa to the Safari. We had a corny push cart show. Were I'd pull out all kinds of bad jokes out of it to a recorded show and a very bad English accent. Example- a cheap plastic snake wearing miniature gaters. "Its a snake wearing gaters. Get it a Gater Snake". Hated doing the show.

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass

• 7 months later...

One of the Great Safari Club's newsletters contains an article about a class of fourth graders at Hereford Elementary School that made a simulated Safari tour for the lower grades. Here is the article:

Great%20Safari%20News%20Vol1%20No2%20Pg1

Just added to this Spotlight is a series of photos from that classroom. Below are a few samples and you can see the entire set in the Great Safari Club Spotlight.

SFGA2_SAFARICLUB_0001%20copy.jpg

SFGA2_SAFARICLUB_0004%20copy.jpg

SFGA2_SAFARICLUB_0003%20copy.jpg

These photos got me thinking. I was in second grade about the same time as these photos. At my elementary school we had about ten or so huge paper mache animals that were larger than life-size which were made by the fourth, fifth, and sixth graders. They could be found around the halls of the school and included an ostrich, elephant, zebra, hippo, etc. The best one was a monkey because its entire body was covered with black wool which made up his really cool fur. I don;t recall any tie-in with the Great Safari Club but the timing just seems like a strange coincidence.

• 8 years later...

I recently acquired one of the Great Safari Club posters that was given as part of the membership to the club.  The full size poster is dated 1975 and references the same artists, Harry and Marion Zelenko, who also were responsible for the wonderful Great Adventure hot air balloon which was featured on the 1974 and 1975 souvenir books.

GreatSafariClubTigerPoster copy.jpg

GSC-Zelenko copy.jpg

• Like 1