VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

BalloonLand (AKA Great Adventure Hot Air Balloon)

29yrswithaGApass

looks like the person who owns the balloon with the reg # N54681 is someone named Donald Mcnabb, in the st louis mo area, would be cool to try and locate the balloon i looked up the number here

http://www.aircraftone.com/search.asp?type=nn

the serial number of the balloon is S60A-112

Edited by gafreak

It would be cool if GADV got a modern balloon like the Channel 6 Zooballoon in Philly.

398px-PhilaZooBalloon.JPG

Since the old GADV Balloon could only hold 4 people, they must have had awlfully slow moving lines.

Edited by The Master

Just saw these fantastic photos and they brought a tear to my eye. THAT is exactly how I remember the park shortly after it was born.

Never forget one time (1975) that we were on line to go up in the Balloon. However, a massive rain/thunderstorm rolled into the area that afternoon and they grounded the Balloon for the remainder of the day.

Out here in California, there are a lot of hot-air balloons. Every time I see one of them, I reflect back to GA's Balloon.

Mr. Le Roy had a great idea when he brought that thing to the park.

Keep those old photos coming. I look forward to your next Enchanted Forest Canopy! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Our research on Great Adventure's hot air balloon continues. I have been able to contact the McNabb family which obtained the balloon from Great Adventure, and they sent me the following photo. Note how the word "Great" does not appear on the balloon. This may have been a requirement of the park to complete the sale of the balloon. We hopefully will be able to share additional information shortly on this beautiful balloon!

gallery_2_43_1273934.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As hoped, I was sent some additional information on Great Adventure's hot air balloon.

- The balloon was sold towards the end of the 1978 season in September to Mr.McNabb and he brought it back to St.Louis where he made it airworthy. It was flown recreationally most of the time.

- From 1981 to 1984 the balloon served as one of the 4th of July logos at the Races from the Gateway Arch event.

- The balloon was retired in the late 1980's and is still in Mr.McNabb's possession.

Below are a couple of pictures of the balloon modified after its years of service at Great Adventure!

gallery_2_43_2636045.jpg

gallery_2_43_2177652.jpg

We have more questions that we hope to get additional information on soon!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...