VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Postcards Spotlight

Just wanted to check with you, are you sure of some of the publication dates on the postcard sets. I noticed that the 1976 set has the Six Flags Great Adventure rainbow on it and Six Flags didn't purchase the park until 1977. I believe these dates are simply the copyright dates (or date that the photo was originally taken) rather than the date that the postcard set was sold in the park, especially since many of the same photos appeared during multiple seasons.

I often wonder what was featured on the two missing cards (GA-5 and GA-8) from the original 1974 card set.

I think it is safe to assume that GA-5 is an artist's rendering, possibly something planned but never built like a restaurant. I would like to think that GA-8 is a card of the entrance gates to the Enchanted Forest theme park.

Anyone care to speculate?

• 7 months later...

I often wonder what was featured on the two missing cards (GA-5 and GA-8) from the original 1974 card set.

I think it is safe to assume that GA-5 is an artist's rendering, possibly something planned but never built like a restaurant. I would like to think that GA-8 is a card of the entrance gates to the Enchanted Forest theme park.

Anyone care to speculate?

I am purely speculating but I think cards GA-5 and GA-8 would like something like this:

GA-5 International Gourmet Food Fair

gallery_2_579_777521.jpg

GA-8 Enchanted Forest Entrance

gallery_2_579_746028.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dave that's an easy anwser. The park was in transiton that year. Six Flag did not take over the park until 1977 but they were the managment company that was brought in to run the operations and development im 1976. If you look closely at the event sign outside the main gate youll see the orginal park logo and the under it a very simple script presented by Six Flags.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are some great "used" postcards with comments about guests' visits to Great Adventure in years past!

This one mentions all the lights and flowers and compares it to Tivoli. Also notes that a lot of the rides were closed.
gallery_2_35_133939.jpg
gallery_2_35_163152.jpg

This one mentions long lines.
gallery_2_35_233750.jpg
gallery_2_35_30847.jpg

This one says that they stayed 12 hours and didn't see everything.
gallery_2_35_74405.jpg
gallery_2_35_10072.jpg

This family loved the shows.
gallery_2_35_105893.jpg
gallery_2_35_15862.jpg

This girl got sick in line!
gallery_2_35_234432.jpg
gallery_2_35_122300.jpg