VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Ultra Twister

29yrswithaGApass

Ultra Twister was one of my favorite rides! I LOVED it because while it was an intense ride, it was very smooth (unlike Viper), and everything about it was just so unique.

In the article from the Good Ol' Summer Times it mentions the party, which I remember so well. It was a hot night and for my first ride on UT it was dark, which just added to the excitement. After dark the ride was really amazing because the lighting made it like the rings around the track glowed, and they just flew past the car as it plunged. For some reason in the middle of the party, the timer for the lights went off and suddenly everyone was standing there in the dark for a minute or two while someone ran to the shed and turned all the lights back on.

These aren't my pictures (I forget where I found them on the web), but this is the way I remember Ultra Twister:

n676275614_2640622_118.jpg

n676275614_5016882_7680.jpg

n676275614_2640623_428.jpg

I have an late 80s GADV map showing UT. Never got to ride UT at GADV because I wasn't tall enough before it was removed. In the early 2000s I went to SFAW and rode UT there so I got to ride on it.

I was very excited one year to go and ride this, I asked an employee "Where is Ultra Twister?". Then he replied "Texas", and I was dissapointed, I never was able to ride it. I always thought it was way ahead of it's time, with the verticle lift and drop. I think it's pretty funny that the new "bigwig's" of the time were stuck on the lift. Very informative Spotlight.

I can't think of the Ultra Twister without recalling a guy that came up to me when I was working the Parachute ride. With a heavy New York accent he said to me:

"Hey Mista, my sista Christa got a blista waitin' in line for the Ultra Twista. Where is first aid?"

It was like hearing a Great Adventure themed "She sells sea shells"! It is 25 years later and I still remember that!

I can't think of the Ultra Twister without recalling a guy that came up to me when I was working the Parachute ride. With a heavy New York accent he said to me:

"Hey Mista, my sista Christa got a blista waitin' in line for the Ultra Twista. Where is first aid?"

It was like hearing a Great Adventure themed "She sells sea shells"! It is 25 years later and I still remember that!

The things you cherish forever, eh Harry? laugh.gif

Reminds of a few years ago while waiting in line for the parachutes. This big, very loud New Yorker with a heavy accent starts talking to a group of PA Amish. He starts asking them 100 questions very loudly about being Amish and you could see they were wishing for the guy to shut up.

gcj82i7o05k001cg33i2k1.jpg

Interesting to hear about the moving sidewalk for Ultra Twister .... kind of like a predecessor for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit!

Another great spotlight, thanks again as usual! And just think - only one more "Spotlight on the Sixes" until the park opens!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those responses really fit with the time period the video was filmed at.

At around 7:30 they say Ultra Twister has contributed to attendance at its US parks. I guess they thought more parks would buy 1 at the the time of the video and not just the 1 Six Flags bought.

• 2 years later...