VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure - Now Even a Greater Adventure

While going through some of my old stuff I ran across a proposal for park changes that I submitted to Great Adventure back in the early 80's. It included a hand drawn poster size park map and an accompanying proposal document with changes that seemed to make sense at the time. Some of them still seem to make sense! I had forgotten that I actually put this together. It is kind of primitive in today's world of Photoshop and design software.

gallery_2_579_287801.jpg

I see we were getting our own copy of the "Great Six Flags Air Racer"!

OLDSFOG13.jpg

I had heard rumors we were going to get the next generation, the INTAMIN Sky Pilot, until the accident at KI

4-6-2011 6;59;29 PM12.jpg

INTAMIN has had a horrible record with accidents over the years. I guess it's the price you pay for innovating.

This is amazing! It's great to see how much you love this park!

I've always thought a Sky Cabin would be a good idea at the end of Main Street; either that, or a Sky Screamer with a clock on top, so it could be called "The Main Street Clock Tower".

I see we were getting our own copy of the "Great Six Flags Air Racer"!

OLDSFOG13.jpg

I had heard rumors we were going to get the next generation, the INTAMIN Sky Pilot, until the accident at KI

OLDKD.jpg

INTAMIN has had a horrible record with accidents over the years. I guess it's the price you pay for innovating.

Here you go, reposted with working pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

That's an amazingly detailed map!!!The main idea of yours that I think is possible is the Sky Tower near the Lakefront-I myself have wondered why noone ever built one there.I also like that inter-locked loop coaster on the other side of the lake.

And if Great Adv. ever did build a suspended coaster-they should put it on the "island" in Congo Rapids!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 4/11/2011 at 3:26 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

While going through some of my old stuff I ran across a proposal for park changes that I submitted to Great Adventure back in the early 80's. It included a hand drawn poster size park map and an accompanying proposal document with changes that seemed to make sense at the time. Some of them still seem to make sense! I had forgotten that I actually put this together. It is kind of primitive in today's world of Photoshop and design software.

gallery_2_579_287801.jpg

It took a few years (35 of them) but my hopes for Great Adventure to add a roller coaster named Jersey Devil have finally been realized!  Way back in 1984 as part of this packet of park improvements and suggestions that I put together for the park, one of the major additions was going to be a steel coaster named Jersey Devil on the banks of the park's waterways.  (Description below and #3 at the top of the map above).  Good things come to those that wait.  And wait.  And wait!

CCI_000720 copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It took a few years (35 of them) but my hopes for Great Adventure to add a roller coaster named Jersey Devil have finally been realized!  Way back in 1984 as part of this packet of park improvements and suggestions that I put together for the park, one of the major additions was going to be a steel coaster named Jersey Devil on the banks of the park's waterways.  (Description below and #3 at the top of the map above).  Good things come to those that wait.  And wait.  And wait!

CCI_000720 copy.jpg

Love it! Hopefully in this new coaster's ensuing legacy, people drop "Coaster" out of the title when discussing it, so that it's just "The Jersey Devil". I would love for the park to excise that last word off the name; if they were able to change "Total Mayhem" to "The Joker", it gives me hope that it's a possibility. But I'm not holding my breath.