VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jumbo Jet

It's too bad the ride never opened. Even though I'm sure it would have been removed before I would have been old enough to ride the coaster, since it seems like no major parks have these type of rides anymore, it looks like a great ride. I really liked the City Jet at Gillian's which looks like a smaller version of the Jumbo Jet which I always liked especially since it was cool to ride a coaster that didn't have any kind of lap bar or seatbelt until the last few years it was at Gillian's.

If there were any doubts, here is further proof that the Jumbo Jet was installed at Great Adventure. In the background of the Wild Flower photo you can make out the front of the Jumbo Jet coaster behind a construction fence. (Of course I discover this after I compile the Spotlight material!)

Whether the ride ever operated still remains a mystery.

Jumbo Jet1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Now, this is all based on one rumor, but I think I may have found our mysterious Jumbo Jet. There's a rumor that it was sent to Morey's Pier, and was the one that ran from 1976 to 1987, and that Jumbo Jet from Morey's, whether it's from Great Adventure or not, was sent to Gorky Park in Germany (I believe?) If anyone can confirm if the JJ at Morey's was the one at GA, that would be great.

• 1 year later...

I worked in the fun fair from 74' to 81' and in mid 75'i saw the coaster operate for a test run but under inspection but the inspectors had a problem with the cars having no seat belts and since GA leased the ride they could not add them that's why moreys piers jumbo jet did had seatbelts.

I can answer all those questions: -the timing was around 2 to 3 minutes -it was set up after the first enterprise -it was removed shortly after the inspection and in july it was completely gone -the super cat was added a week after the coaster was taken down

-and about the pictures I had several boxes of pictures and around 10 videos (one of the videos was the testing of the jumbo jet) but sadly they were kept in my shed that buned down in the 90s but I do remember most of the pictures/videos.

• 2 years later...