VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Log Flume

29yrswithaGApass

This is an amazing spotlight. There were so many pictures and it was interesting to see the flume when the park first opened. It is my favorite non coaster ride in the park and I like that you can ride it and get cooled off without getting soaked unless you get hit with one of the water cannons.

Wow good job! There is one question I have: in the footage you have, the logs appear to be traveling through the ride very smoothly. Did the ride become rougher later in time, or was the ride always like that? Today it isn't very smooth at all.

Now, this IS what greatness is all about! Been waiting for this one for a very long time. The granddaddy of flumes in this country. Love those nighttime shots down on the station. Unless I just plain missed it, do you have any photos of being on the final hill and getting a shot from up there of the Big Wheel?

We are glad you guys like the Spotlight. It is one that we have been wanting to do for quite some time but was just so huge that it kept being put on a back burner.

The Log Flume is still one of the world's best flume rides in my opinion.

Let me start of by saying, another great spotlight. This might just be my favorite ride spotlight.

Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion on the Log Flume. Ruling out the stellar log flumes that get most of their kicks through theming, the Log Flume is definitely my favorite should I say "normal" log flume. I've ridden the ones at Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Dorney, and Hershey, and they're all boring compared to ours. One of the things I most love about our log flume is how fast the log runs down the trough after you go down the two smaller drops. I mean, the log is ZOOMING down the trough faster than any other log flume I've ever ridden. It would be interesting to see what the fastest Log Flume is, and whether or not it's us.

But our Log Flume is the perfect length, and it's beautiful. We don't need artificial theming. We have a real lake, and real trees, real beauty.

Nice spotlight, as much as I like the Log Flume I rarely ride it anymore due to those damn coin sparyers. I wish they would remove those stupid things.

Or at least they should turn them off before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. I remember last year on opening weekend when it was in the 40's, I rode the Log Flume and hardly got any water on me but if someone was at the sprayers, I would have gotten soaked which of course is no fun in cold weather.

Edited by Yoshi

^it's probably not a good idea to ride it that early in the season!

I've always wanted to use the coin sprayers, but I'm scared that the person I soak will find me later on somewhere else in the park; or even worse, I'll be on the Log Flume and they'll happen to be at the coin sprayers.

1 Comment:

I Rode Your Guy's Log Flume this year and Loggers Run at Six Flags Great America is MUCH BETTER. It Gets You Wet.

Great Spotlight Otherwise.

If all you want is to get soaked, there are plenty of ways to do that. What makes this ride so great is the ride, not how wet you may or may not get. It's a great ride in a great atmosphere that's unparalleled in the industry.

^it's probably not a good idea to ride it that early in the season!

I've always wanted to use the coin sprayers, but I'm scared that the person I soak will find me later on somewhere else in the park; or even worse, I'll be on the Log Flume and they'll happen to be at the coin sprayers.

It's karma :lol: .

Hey Harry, I just wanted to dip in and let you know how much I enjoyed the Log Flume spotlight. I saw it appear last week, but I was a little busy and wanted to give myself a chance to read and enjoy it thoroughly without having to rush through it. The spotlight was fantastic -- maybe one of the most comprehensive and best ones to date. The Log Flume is arguably one of the most memorable rides at Great Adventure, and it was great to peel back the layers and really see how it has evolved (or not evolved, maybe?) over the years to remain a real park classic. Just by looking at the pictures, I can imagine the feel of grabbing those wet, cold bars inside the logs and can hear the rumbling sound of the log going down the drop.

Over the past several years, I've come to recognize myself as somewhat of a log flume enthusiast. I love climbing aboard a log and seeing what each particular flume has to offer, and I've certainly ridden some really great ones. I'm not sure if it's just sentimental, or if it's the long length and great variety on the ride, but there's just something about this one that really takes the cake. I'm glad you mentioned the dip -- I noticed that in some of the early pictures and couldn't recall ever riding uphill after the second drop. (Maybe I'll have to get out to Kennywood and see what that's all about.)

I remember seeing a Saturday morning TV show for kids back in the 80s where they dedicated the entire episode to the Log Flume at Great Adventure. I can't remember the name of the show, but I remember them talking about it was one of the most popular rides in the park and how the ride takes you through the treetops.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys a shout out for doing a great job. I know building this kind of web site and acting as a historian is a real labor of love, so I wanted to let you know that it really resonated with me. Great work!

PS: I love this picture (below). You've waited on the [possibly long] line to get on the Log Flume... you're hot, you've walked past the same people over and over on that cramped little queue, and you're ready to get wet. You finally climb up the stairs and get your first good glimpse of the payoff. You're a little jealous of those people, but you know you'll be in one of those logs soon, and people will be jealous looking down at you. Ha ha.

20075233%20copy.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hot Dog

One of the reasons we waited on doing this spotlight was we knew there were so many pictures (and we keep receiving more and more all the time). This was a great one to write up and it reminded me how great it was. I forgot to add some info to the spotlight, but the next time we do an update on it with more pictures, we'll add the special info I left out.

If we were to use all the Log Flume photos we have the Spotlight would have been about 3.5 times the size, however somewhat redundant. We had tons of pictures of all the different angles, not to mention hundreds of photos of guests in logs. When I did the layout for the Spotlight I tried to include as many interesting ride shots and humorous guest pictures as possible. One of the things that took so long with this Spotlight was reviewing each photo for hidden details that could tell the Log Flume story.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

As you all know I worked Log Flume the first year and want to clear up a few things. Yes it did go faster and held more water. The area in front of the attraction and Best of the West was filled to the bottom of the rock formation. Guest could not see the blue walls of the holding pool and there were four work post on the ride itself- lift one, shoot which is the first drop in the back, and the spillway which did feature a roller coaster type valley drop. (The water helped push the log up.) And then lift two, the final hill in front of Best of the West. We also did not have the elevated areas at the four positions. We had to stand.

• 5 weeks later...

For my past three visits, the Log Flume has stopped running each time when I went past it. Almost as if I were magnetic or something! The first time they did an evacuation and the last two times they restarted the ride after a lengthy downtime.

On hot summer days like today, a second flume ride sure would come in handy!

For my past three visits, the Log Flume has stopped running each time when I went past it. Almost as if I were magnetic or something! The first time they did an evacuation and the last two times they restarted the ride after a lengthy downtime.

Harry, I think the Great Adventure Gods are telling you to stay away! ;P lolol

• 2 months later...
Guest racinggal17

They need more workers fixing the ride as soon as possible or else!