VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Log Flume

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 months later...

There has been some speculation recently about the removal of the Log Flume. Sections of the track were removed, the ride's reservoir completely drained, and the lift hill mechanisms disassembled prior to the end of the season. At one point a crane was even stationed in the area. Given Magic Mountain's recent removal of their log flume ride, it was all cause for concern.

Well, I am happy to report that Great Adventure's Log Flume is safe and has been receiving some early TLC and fiberglass work. The Log Flume will be a part of Great Adventure's ride line-up for many years to come!

There has been some speculation recently about the removal of the Log Flume. Sections of the track were removed, the ride's reservoir completely drained, and the lift hill mechanisms disassembled prior to the end of the season. At one point a crane was even stationed in the area. Given Magic Mountain's recent removal of their log flume ride, it was all cause for concern.

Well, I am happy to report that Great Adventure's Log Flume is safe and has been receiving some early TLC and fiberglass work. The Log Flume will be a part of Great Adventure's ride line-up for many years to come!

Also considering they removed the newer Moonflume from the park as well.

• 7 months later...

Really?

Man freed from Six Flags' Log Flume ride

Asbury Park Press Jul. 9, 2013

JACKSON — Six Flags Great Adventure mechanics had to remove a man who became stuck on the Saw Mill Log Flume on Saturday, said a theme park spokeswoman.

The man, who was described only as tall, became “wedged under the front lip of a log boat,” wrote spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher in an email.

Mechanics removed a padding strip and the man was able to get out of the log boat, she said.

The Log Flume rides includes a four-story water slide into a pool.

The same day, a teenager was hospitalized after falling at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, a water park that is adjacent to Great Adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

When I worked western log flume in 1974 we used all the boats. and were allowed to sit up to 6 riders in each. 4 front, 2 in the back. with lift one having three boats on it on bottomm middle and top. as the top boat entered the flume the next left the station. etc. We got our work out. But the water level was higher and faster then. Never when youd ride it did you hear the boat scrap the bottom of the flume.

• 1 year later...

I first heard about this in 1974 when my sister returned from Great Adventure and experienced it first hand. It was only today that I ever saw photos of it - the "soaping" of the Log Flume. Look closely at the photos below... these weren't taken in the winter and that isn't snow. Those are suds and bubbles created by large quantities of soap (like the liquid hand soap in restrooms) poured into the flume by employees. Too cool! Special thanks to Dennis Gilbert for sharing these photos with us.

gallery_2_1004_62671.jpg

gallery_2_1004_519883.jpg

That must have been a crazy cleanup, I assume this wasn't Great Adventure sanctioned. I wonder what the fallout was.

When my sister saw it in 1974 it was the last day of the season so I would imagine most thought they didn't have much (aka a job) to lose.

Those are amazing pictures. When I clicked them in the gallery before seeing the image names or reading the thread, I thought they were snow.

Me too, in fact when I first saw them I tought o.k. snow, then I realized and was like OH WOW, SOAP!

Here is some insight to the "soaping" of the Log Flume as explained by the owner of the photos!

The soaping of the flumes was an old tradition that we brought from the Six Flags Over Georgia park done by the employees. It was generally done on Labor Day or at the end of the season. As I recall, what was used was an industrial suds concoction, but had to make sure it would not damage clothing or irritate eyes. It was a fun tradition, but we actually got an unofficial okay from the ride manufacturer, Arrow Development, that it would not damage the pumps or anything else. Arrow at the time actually told us, it was fine with them since it might clean some of the build up dirt out of the pumps.

Besides the fact that the Log Flume doesn't stay open until the end of the season, I would imagine soapings would be impossible to do today because the suds would block some of the electric eyes and sensors found around the track. It sure looks like it was fun!

• 7 months later...

KK thats a easy anwser. During its early yearss the water level was higher and the flume operatered a lot faster. The dip was called spill way. It also ran with four pumps on the attraction. It took lots of water and it had to be moving at a high rate to make the dip. ther was no roll backs to stop the logs from going in reverse back down. And Valleying. So when they did the safety rehab the dip was removed.

I wish i rememberd the "dip". I remember the orange flag's for Photo's, i remember waiting in the old overflow que, but just can't remember the "dip". If it was removed in 79' i definetly rode on it when it still there, many times. Still one of my fav Spotlight's. And i love the fact that it's my twin in the back of the Boat on the Book Cover pic. The girl in front of "me" look's like just an old girlfiend "Barb" i had too. I didn't really look like that until late 80's though, i'm pretty sure the pic is from before that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...