VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Log Flume

29yrswithaGApass

Our member Daved Thomson sent us a YouTube link of a great video on Arrow water rides. The video contains footage of the Log Flume's original but removed spillwater drop (at 0:30). The video and some screenshots are below. Thanks Daved!

gallery_2_1004_79787.jpg

gallery_2_1004_2534.jpg

gallery_2_1004_34322.jpg

gallery_2_1004_19086.jpg

gallery_2_1004_16069.jpg

It also talks about how concrete track is less expensive than a fiberglass trough and has a very brief view of the ground level Hyrdro Flume boats floating down river with the Great Train in the background!

gallery_2_1109_18924.jpg

• Like 1

That was an interesting video.

Watching the video and thinking about how so many parks had a log flume, rapids and splashdown boat, I don't like that so many parks seem to be removing their log flumes and other water rides in recent years and I hope Sawmill Log Flume is still operating for at least another 20 - 30 years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am stunned by the amazing array of old photos that are posted on this site. You can recreate the history of just about any feature that was ever in this park. The older I get the more I am into history and recreating it through old photos and videos, so I am so glad that I found this site. I am also a civil engineer so threads like this discussing fluid dynamics of a flume ride is right up my alley. KUDOS to GAH and its members!

• 4 weeks later...

That's THE beauty about this website: The old-school photos. Harry has done and continues to do a remarkable job with this site. By the way, I notice there are a lot of security cameras around different parts of the Log Flume. I don't recall there really being any back in the 70s and into the early 80s.

• 2 months later...

Log Flume flashback! Who remembers when the photo booth was at the top of the entrance and exit stars above the turntable? At first it had a temporary roof and then a permanent structure. The major problem was that the stand created a bottleneck because it didn't have any queue space causing exiting guests to backup onto the turntable.

gallery_2_1004_203636.jpg

gallery_2_1004_165470.jpg

• 2 years later...

Yes, I wish it was still there as well. I never rode the log flume with the dip but tried it at Kennywood in 2013 and thought it was a fun element. I like Splash Mountain's version too, the first time I tried the ride I was surprised when the log went uphill.

Having worked the log flume that first year it was tricky. But when it worked correctly it was fantastic!  How ever we would get power drains on the system. and the pumps would slow down or shut off. And all the stop dams on chut and spill way would come up backing up all the logs behind both. and lift one. Taking an hour to evca. and another to get it back up and running. Lots of fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Log Flume accident.

086-E2-CCD-B304-4-AE9-8-B93-59-AC4-EE555

https://www.inquirer.com/news/six-flags-log-flume-guests-hospitalized-jackson-nj-20210613.html

Two guests at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, N.J., were hospitalized Sunday after a boat in a log flume ride “tipped up on an angle,” a spokesperson for the theme park said.

Kristin Fitzgerald, a Six Flags spokesperson, said first aid workers responded to the malfunctioning boat on the Saw Mill Log Flume around 6:30 p.m. Two people were taken to a hospital for further treatment, Fitzgerald said: one for leg pain, the other for arm pain.

Fitzgerald said she did not know how many others were in the boat, and she did not provide details about the riders’ genders or ages. The ride was shut down after the incident to be inspected, she said, adding: “The safety of our guests and employees is our highest priority.”

The park’s website touts the Saw Mill Log Flume as the “world’s first ever log flume ride,” describing the attraction as a winding journey along a water course that sends its log-shaped vessels down a four-story plunge and, later, a steep nosedive designed to splash riders.

Published June 13, 2021

I think GADV is defaulting on some on their maintenance. When I was at the park last Thursday I noticed a couple of logs become stuck in the station until another log bumped them free. On Nitro half the time the lap bars don't release remotely from the operator booth, they have to be manually released by the platform loaders pretty often now.