VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Log Flume

29yrswithaGApass

On 6/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, Nitr0o said:

On a side note; why does the park call it the world's first log flume ride, I thought that was in SFOT?

I could be wrong, but I believe they simply refer to Six Flags as having introduced the first log flume ride, as opposed to Six Flags Great Adventure.  Worthy of note, however, is the fact that Great Adventure's log flume was the largest log flume in the world when it opened in 1974.

Quick correction to my comment.  The SFGA park website (the official Six Flags website) does refer to the Saw Mill Log Flume as being the first.  That is clearly not the case.  I'm guessing it's probably the result of the same person writing the copy for all of the Six Flags parks and someone not editing that writing for the individual park.

Edited by Daved Thomson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, GAcoaster said:

All in the sun pre-queue house!

Interestingly enough, after reviewing the poster maps (which were not the most accurate of park maps), it wasn't until the second season (1979) of Six Flags ownership that the actual covered que was added to the log flume and appeared on the maps.  In addition, it looks to be the only fully covered que to appear on the maps and, I think, in the park.  Runaway Train and the Western Sky ride had partially covered lines, but those partial coverings were actually part of the stations and Fort.  It wasn't until 1981's Roaring Rapids addition that we would see a significant portion of the que covered. To this day, other than GASM/Green Lantern, can you think of any other ride in the park where most of the que is (or was) fully covered?

Edited by Daved Thomson

Totally agree with all of these rides having some covering and I had not remembered Shock Wave.  But my point was that none of these coverings provided non-penetrable protection of guests from the sun and rain.  I can't think of any other attraction that comes close to a fully covered que house like the log flume, other than Roaring Rapids.  It has a fully covered que house, but exposed station and other parts of the que that are covered with pergola-type coverings.  It's just peculiar to the log flume, and not in a bad way. I also agree that many of the newer rides have had at least partially covered ques, but those coverings are makeshift at best.

I never liked the Memorial Day to Labor Day schedule with how warm it can be in April and September/October. I would have never thought it would be open into November. I remember opening weekend 2010 in March it was in the 40s and it was open then too. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It is November 7th and the Log Flume is open!   That’s so great!  Remember when it use to close on Labor Day weekend?

Well when I went up last year for Fright Fest, Log Flume & Congo Rapids were operating during daylight hours.

But you're right; I've always been under the assumption (and seen signs as such) that LF & CR were strictly "Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend operations"

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...