VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Haunted House - Original Walk-Thru Attraction

29yrswithaGApass

Since 1980 when I bought one of my first souvenir booklets at the park I have wondered whether this picture of the Haunted House was actually taken at the park or if it was a stock photo from another park. The mystery was solved earlier this year when we were fortunate to have a former shows employee share her collection with us. Thanks Kathie!

1979%20SB%20Haunted%20Castle%20copy.jpg

Wow I wish Great Adventure was still themed as well as they were back when this attraction was introduced and when employees "cared" about entertaining their guests. I guess the best bet in recent years for theme was back in the 90's with Batman: The Ride's operators wearing uniforms.

This was staffed by the existing street characters. So, it was odd to see Mother Goose get transformed to a ghoul. The Butcher was an interesting character. He had a heart of gold, loved being a clown, and loved entertaining kids. He also played Santa at a department store in Hamilton. But, get him in the Butcher costume, and he would scare the *#@& out of you. Raggedy Ann and I would go through, and We were scared.

Just got home and got quite a big surprise finding this here. Wasn't sure if or when this spotlight would ever appear. Must say I'm glad it did because it's a big part of the park's history - for good and bad. I remember the tragedy occurred just before I left New York. I was at a YES concert on Long Island that night and found out about it from my folks when I got home. Couldn't believe it. Always went in there at least once each time I went to GA. So many memories. May those people rest in peace and may they never be forgotten.

No, I was not in the house that much to remember the layout. And, yes, they were togas.That was my last day working at the park in 78. Animal House was released during that summer. That was one of the nutty things we did on the last operating day.

Here are two ads from the late 1970's for Brigantine Castle and the Haunted Mansion at Long Branch. Both were very successful, especially in the early years, and were major competition for the park. It seemed only logical for Great Adventure to install a similar attraction and the Haunted House during the 1978 Halloween season proved to be just as successful.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to some information sent to us by one of our readers, we have learned that the original Haunted House (which operated in the fall of 1978) was moved to Six Flags Over Mid America where it operated from 1979 to 1982. This makes the Haunted House one of the first attractions to be part of Six Flags' ride rotation program.

The Haunted House at Six Flags Over Mid America:

Haunted%20House%20copy.jpg

The Spotlight has been updated.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...