VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What is your favorite decade of Great Adventure?

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade was best for GA?

• 1974-1979
    • 1980-1989
    • 1990-1999
    • 2000-2009
    • 2010-Present

Which decade of Great adventure did you enjoy the most? Not just enjoy, which decade do you believe showed the greatest improvement in the park itself (rides/coasters/attractions/shows/etc.)? Give reasons why you have

chosen that decade.

Edited by batmanrobinchiller

Definitely the 1980s. Six Flags began to build the park but stayed largely true to the park's Enchanted Forest nature. The park was also much more balanced in terms of rides, yshows, and attractions. When you went to GA in the 80s, you felt a certain magic about the experience. There was a sense that it wasn't just about rides. There was also a feeling that with the amount of acreage owned the park would grow with even greater creativity than it's first two seasons.

Definitely the 00s. To me, it was a complete renaissance and truly where gadv became the national player it is today. First the Harbor, then Nitro debuted(easily one of the most important additions in park history, if not the most important, IMO). In 2003, Superman debuted bringing a greater variety to the park's collection, and in '05 and '06, 2 of the greatest coasters in the world debuted in Ka and Toro, along with some excellent theming. Later on, the park spent the latter half of the decade adding a good family coaster and improving the park all over. While many flats may have been removed by 2 managements, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. To me, it was a pretty well rounded decade for the park.

2000's, since that was the only decade that I rode the major coasters in. In the 80's, I only rode the kiddie rides, in the 90's I rode just the smaller coasters and liked the park but not as much as I did since my visit in 2007. I did have a couple of bad trips to the park in the early 2000's, but 2008 especially was one the best coaster seasons I ever had once I got a season pass to the park and 2009 was almost as good.

And as mentioned above, there were so many coasters added in those years. At another park, a ride like Nitro or Kingda Ka would probably be built once a decade but to get all those coasters in such a short amount of time was great.

Edited by Yoshi

My favorite decade had to be the '80s. We use to spend the entire day at the park from opening until closing without ever a dull minute. There were so many different things to do. My favorite year was 1983.

Even so, I would kill to experience the park in the 1970's again. Those days were the most magical and colorful for the park.

I have to say, the 2000's were the best years of the park, especially in 2006. In 2006, we had the best rides still with us (i.e: The Chiller, Stuntman Freefall, Water Effect, GASM). The previous year brought us Kingda Ka, and in 06 El Toro. The park was at its highest with all these great rides. Even though in 2008, most of the Movietown rides were removed, along with the entire Old Country area, I still enjoyed the decade. Now that we are in 2012, most of the rides I grew up with in the late 90's and the early 00's are disappearing. SF is always looking for the next big thing, and hopefully, this new era has something to prove to us. ('GO BIG!')

Mine favorite is the 90s, though the late 80s are a close second. Back then GADV had all sorts of different rides. I really don't like the 2000s a whole lot since I felt SF focused too much on coasters at the expense of ripping out flats. Then SF got into deep dept and started downsizing and removing even more rides, and now GADV is pretty bare bones compared to how it was in the 90s.

My favorite decade had to be the '80s. We use to spend the entire day at the park from opening until closing without ever a dull minute. There were so many different things to do. My favorite year was 1983.

Even so, I would kill to experience the park in the 1970's again. Those days were the most magical and colorful for the park.

Ditto^^^^^^