VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Garden of Marvels

• 1 year later...

Thank-you, Thank- you, thank -you. This has always been one of my favorite Spotlights. It was amazing to be sure. It was always busy. Adults loved it, as well as Hobbiest, ANd if you look close at the photos children seem to be in trached by it. This only proves a point for me and alot of GA fanatics..Who remember when. It isnt all about the rides. In 1974 they used to leave it open till 8:30-9:00 so guest could walk thru it at dusk. With the lights on in the building street lamps lite, Spot lights on the Castle...Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I need help clearing something up, hoping that I have not lost my mind or am making things up in my head. I distinctly remember, as a high school senior, taking a trip to GA and seeing the Garden of Marvels. I have always been a model train buff, so that is why this area of the park impressed me so much. But the problem is, the school trip I took there would have been in May/June 1979, which was my senior year. According to the info on this site, the Garden of Marvels was already dismantled for the 1979 season and converted into a mini-golf course. The change in the 1978 to 1979 park maps reflect that change to the park.

So the question is, if the miniature village was already gone by 1979, why do I so vividly remember seeing it as a teen? So much so that I did a search and found this website! Is there any possibility at all that the changeover took place midway through the 1979 season, and perhaps the Garden of Marvel was still around in May/June? If not, I cannot explain why I have such distinct and vivid memories of this attraction. Someone help me! ;)

Was your 1979 class trip your first visit to the park?

Yes it was. Living in NY state, I really didn't know anything about this amusement park, so I could not have seen or even heard about the Gardens previously. The only other logical explanation is that I saw a similar type attraction at another park, but I don't know how that would have tied me to this park. I'm so confused......LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A few new Garden of Marvel shots from June 1975!

Below:  Belgium's Gravensteen Castle with the rides of Ride-a-Rama in the back right.

large.59d05397de826_EB_JUN75_04copy.jpg.

Below:  Neuschwanstein Castle at the top of the Garden of Marvel's mountain walkway.  Goodtime Alley games square would be on your right.

large.59d0539753b9b_EB_JUN75_03copy.jpg.

Below:  Ivan the Great Bell Tower/Kremilin Wall with the Moon Bounce in the Ride-a-Rama children's section behind it.

large.59d05396d1bd3_EB_JUN75_05copy.jpg.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Why do miniatures when you can do a 3D VR tour on our phone?

Sadly, this stuff is dying out.  I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into these. 

Same reason people prefer model trains over train simulator software.  Sometimes the physical world is more impressive (and fun) than virtual things. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Looking over this again its funny to see the trains used such tight curves. 4 foot diameter is considered really tight curves by modern standards. These days LGB and other G scale manufacturers  offer straight track sections up to 5 feet long and curves up to 20 foot diameters. Many also sell flex track that can be bent to custom curves and wide switch track. I upgraded my own garden railway to 8 foot diameter curves a couple of years ago. Some of the big locomotives and cars they sell now need at least a 10 foot diameter curve. Shows how standards can rise over time.