VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Images of America: Six Flags Great Adventure

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ordered a copy of the "Images..." book last night from Amazon $16.31 with free shipping (new copy).

They had used copies available for as low as $11.00.

al

Over ten days later my book finally arrived, thanks to the "Two Day Speedy Delivery" Amazon promises to it's "PRIME" subscribers. I won't use FedEx for anything if I don't have to... they wind up dumping it in the US Postal service anyway. Amazon could have saved time and money by using USPS from the start.

But I now have a copy of Harry's work. I have two long appointments tomorrow that entail waiting at the doctors office, then later waiting for a neighbors flight to arrive , I will have a couple of uninterrupted hours to review this little gem. Check back in a day or so for my "Book Report" !!

Edited by mayor al

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, I was able to get thru the first half your research work on the History of Great Adventure today. It was great to see the photos and the very descriptive captions of those early rides and attractions.

I wish that space were allowed for a timeline/map to show the evolution of the Park expansion during those years of growth.. Magic Mtn had a slide display of Park maps from early years to present, skipping here and there, but showing how the growth pattern developed. That sort of chain of events would have been a neat thing to include.

Another addition to Part II when it is assembled would be interviews with employees from those early years, much like the oral histories being done now with Veterans, and people who have had unusal experiences, to preserve the first hand knowledge of the events that happened at G A. Anyway. I am enjoying your work greatly, Thanks for all your efforts, it certainly was worth it.

Albert J Bowen, Ed.S.

Professor of Economics, (Retired)

Edited by mayor al

^ Great suggestions Al.

Those things, especially the interviews, are something I would love to include in a Volume II or even better, a full size color book (i.e. coffee table book). We were under a really short time frame with Volume I. If I recall we got approval for the book in late February and the finalized text and photos had to be submitted by mid May. Let's just say we were really busy with it!

Don't know if you hit our Timeline of Yearbooks page but it includes a year by year breakdown of eash season including a park map for each year in the YB%20PARK%20POSTER%20MAPS%20copy_Buttons button. So far we have up thru 1984 completed.

Yes I have been following the yearbook development, they are a super 'look-back' tool also. When the folks who did the write-up of my "Mayordom" The Cajon Pass area of Southern California's San Bernardino Mountains. The first book was just as yours.. sort of a "Slam Bam, Thank You, Ma am, tell all in as many photos as you coul put in the space allowed, and fit the text around the visuals. A couple of years later two other books evolved from the first, both still in the 'antique format, but instead of an a-z coverage of the history (again), the second book specialized in the railroad development across that part of the desert and mountains into the L A Valley////and the third book focused on the San Andreas Fault which is the cause of the Pass in the Mountains being there at all...so it was more on the physical geography than people-stuff. We came away with three studies of the same area from three very different frames of reference,

Turning to GA then... we have the basic historic overlay.... Now how about some alternatives for a new approach- economic impact of G A on Central Jersey. employment, economic expansion, crime increase, charitable donations, new business, lots of items to form a base for what G A has done, is doing, and should do in the future within the local communities. Add to that.. where are yesterdays employees.. are they todays community leaders, or did they leave the area? lots of possible questions to ask and report on here.

OK I'll stop for now. but u get the idea of what I am thinking.

I finished my review today. Since I have not set foot in the Park in the 21st Century, the second half of this illustrated history is quite enlightening to me. I really would like to be able to trace the expansion of the Park step-by-step over those corporate changes of ownership and the changes of "Themes" that followed when the new Bosses showed up.

The first jump from Hartwicke Corp. to 6 Flags was interesting to watch, but I am glad I was a "PEON" at the time, and not in Managment worrying about Job Security. I do recall one of the original Department DIRECTORs going to lunch with some of the newly arrived 6 Flags MgmntTeam, When they returned from lunch his office had been emptied and all his personal items were boxed awaiting his 'loading and leaving' No notice or advance warning. His former staff were so nervous about their own security they waited till after hours to help load his property and join him for a 'going away' party.

The takeover by 6 Flags, at the Park Level was a real "Blood-in-the-streets sort of revolution. Not many of the former 6 Flags people who had switched to Hartwicke Corp to build Great Adventure survived the changeover... The Locals (New Jersey folks) and the Englishmen seemed to fare much better. I wasn't able to tell from the "Images..." book, if the same sort of managment behavior happened with the more recent changes??

One final comment. One the Last Page I would have added some sort of a sign reading

TO BE CONTINUED or WORK IN PROGRESS or maybe ANOTHER ADVENTURE COMING SOON

Implying a second edition could be in the works.

Overall an very nice job, Harry. You have provided an interesting look at a place I enjoyed working at very much. Thanks for the Peek into the Past.

Edited by mayor al