VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

1976 Yearbook - Season #3 - New Entrance Area

As I was working on this I was struck by the scope of the changes made that year. It's interesting to see how bringing in veteran theme park people really changed things and made the flow of the park better. While the initial build out was pretty, it wasn't particularly practical for the flow of guests.

Another change was the Flying Bauers. The poles were moved from the Great Arena to the old entrance, so their show was right on Dream Street. The building on the left (the restrooms would be on the right) became the dressing room for the Bauers as well as the female street characters and body puppets. The male street characters were moved to under Aqua Stadium. It was not convenient, and only lasted a year.

Edited by Csogi

Another change was the Flying Bauers. The poles were moved from the Great Arena to the old entrance, so their show was right on Dream Street. The building on the left (the restrooms would be on the right) became the dressing room for the Bauers as well as the female street characters and body puppets. The male street characters were moved to under Aqua Stadium. It was not convenient, and only lasted a year.

Good catch Steve! I added the sway poles.

These Yearbook pages will be ever-evolving as we pick up new information, materials, and photos.

As always a great spotlight! Way to go! 1976 did see many changes in the park...This way my last year there. The new 'Liberty Square" area with the fifty state flages in it...Wow...Did you know the plans called for it to be called "Little Ol New York'? The Balloon was flown in the area to the left as you walked in. ANd the designer Randel Duell also had a back ground in film? A lot of respect has to be given to him. He took the natural beauty of the land and worked around it. Keep trees in tack. And adding flower gardens as well. Justfor your info.the Bauers Poles were clamed to be 100 ft. Again thanks for the Spotlight... :hot_air_balloon:

Edited by FlumeOp1974

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Steve, was this your attempt at sway-poling? :P

1976%2013E.jpg

The picture below of the new for 1976 Avenue of the States entrance area made me wonder something. Besides the cool looking wall with the opening lines of the Constitution on it, there is a wishing well with a sign on it behind the street entertainer. The sign is too small to make out, but I was wondering if the well might have been for donations fot some sort of charity. Maybe Jerry Lewis' Muscular Dystrophy Association being that he did the commercials promoting the park that year?

gallery_2_579_745398.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to 1976 Yearbook - Season #3 - New Entrance Area
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

A new vintage magazine ad has been added to our galleries!  This one is from 1976.  At first when I read "Great Adventure will have you flying upside down" I thought it was false advertising because Lightnin' Loops wasn't added until 1978.  I then realized they must have been talking about the Enterprise.

1976_FullPageMagazineAd copy.jpg