VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Introduce Yourself!

GAcoaster

• 4 weeks later...

I'm Colin and my intrests are Roller Coasters and Physics. (I perfer not to mention my age) My favorite roller coaster manufacturing companies are RMC, B&M, and Intiman. My home park is Great Adventure and my favorite rides are El Toro, Nitro, Kingda Ka, and Bizarro.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Y'all.  I was a supervisor at World of Animals in Mesquite prior to the sale to Hardwicke and then the move of animals to Great Adventure.  I was part of the grand roundup of rhinos, lions, giraffes, baboons and other wonderful creatures that I got to work with at WOA.  I see Gary is here from the old crew.  Anyone else?  After I left WOA in 1973, I went on to work my way up to Curator at the Houston Zoo.  Since 1989, I have worked in biomedical research at the University of Texas.   This is "Raffie".  He was bottle raised in our Safari Village. "Clyde" the lion went on to work with Jewel New at Ringling Bros. as part of an all male lion act.  I got to see him in the late 70's when RB came to Houston.  Clyde was still the same laid back guy as when I knew him.

JD and Raffe.jpg

JD and Clyde.jpg

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1

Hi JCD and welcome to our site!  The Safari is such a unique gem of Great Adventure and I love hearing about that park's earliest days.  We would welcome any stories (and pictures) that you are able to share. We have dedicated an entire section of our forums and have a Safari home page too which we hope you enjoy!

• 3 months later...

Hey GAH!

My name is Gavin, and I've been visiting the park since the day I was born. I'm partial to the early 2000's in GA history, since that was when I went the most. I look forward to discussing all aspects of the park with other enthusiasts! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, everyone! 

So, I made one of these posts when I first joined GAH back when I was... 15? And now that I'm 21, I feel the need to redo this just because I feel as if I am a totally different person now! :Wizard: (Well, I still like smileys...) But, here goes!

My name is Lauren and I am 21 years old. I am a senior in college and I am studying computer engineering. Several of my favorite past times include programming, roller coasters, and pinball. This summer I had an internship where I helped restore pinball machines. It was really enjoyable. I unfortunately have not been to Great Adventure since 2015. However, I really would like to go back. I've always enjoyed exploring this website, and learning all there is to know about Great Adventure. At one point in time, I used to go around the park with my family and pretty much drive them crazy with all of the information I had to share. As a teenager it was a real passion for me. Nowadays I'm really trying to get back to Great Adventure to see all that has changed since I have last been. 

I was reading through the posts that I had made throughout the years, and I couldn't help but laugh at myself. It was funny, albeit also a little cringe-worthy. Either way, I updated my about me on my profile to reflect my recent life. 

It has been fun re-introducing myself! I hope to be back on here more often.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Hello all! Longtime lurker and member of gadv.com. I finally decided to sign up over here and fully rejoin the Great Adventure family.

My name is Joe. I’m a 26 year old man from Staten Island, New York. I’m a music teacher and bass player in a cover band (the latter is obviously on hold right now due to this pandemic).

I’ve been visiting Great Adventure since I’m 10 years old. I still remember my first night ride on Nitro which is the moment I became a roller coaster enthusiast. To this day Nitro remains my favorite roller coaster, and I honestly don’t know if any coaster will be good enough to get past my history with that ride, which I’ve ridden well over 100 times at this point and always serves as the finale to my day at the park.

My current username is actually a reflection of my original Great Adventure Source username (I came up with the brilliant NitroKaMedusaMachine name back in I believe 2005). My favorite year of the park was 2006, with El Toro and Kingda Ka still new, Scream Machine, Rolling Thunder, and Chiller still in operation, and Bizarro still with its original name and color scheme. This felt like the year where Gadv truly felt like an elite park with a roller coaster collection that could rival even Cedar Point. The park is certainly more well rounded now, but in terms of its coaster collection, nothing will ever top 2006.

My last visit to the park came in 2018, but I’m hoping to get to the park if and when it opens in 2020. The announcement of Jersey Devil has me excited despite the name (Let’s Go Rangers!), and following the construction is what prompted me to finally sign up here, as it made me incredibly happy to see this community alive and well. Long post I know but I figured it made sense considering how long I’ve been checking out these forums without ever signing up.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Greetings everyone:

I attended GA for the first time in August of 74.  My first ride was the sky ride and I was hooked on GA after that.  It was a big part of my summers growing up, especially when I became a teen and could go by myself. I am also a Disney geek and would like nothing better than to leave work behind and move to Orlando to join the magic.  I found this site as I was looking for information on the haunted castle disaster.  I was not in the park the night of 5/11/84 but did hear it on the radio.  This site pointed me in some good directions to learn more about it.  I have read several things here about archives of GA memorabilia and was wondering if there is a site that historic memorabilia could be viewed.  Thank you for creating this site, it is so nice to see the galleries and hear other peoples memories.  

Does anyone know what happened to the lion that use to greet guests at the entrance from the road?  

^ Welcome to GAH!  We would love for you to share your memories of GA with us.  There is practically a topic for anything you can think of including each ride and attraction so check them out and feel free to post away!

As far as memorabilia, you can check out our GA Souvenirs collection HERE.  We have a ton of new items that we still have to add to these pages.

Sadly, the lion sign was moved back stage for repairs but unfortunately was damaged.  The only thing that remains are the letters from the sign which reside in the private collection of a long time GA employee.  You can read about the Lion Sign HERE.

Have fun exploring GreatAdventureHistory.com!

Thank you so much for updating me on the lion.  I was only 5 years old when I went the first time and remember not really understanding what Great Adventure was going to be but was excited to ride a Ferris wheel for the first time.  (Every Ferris wheel since has been a disappointment at best).  I never forgot seeing the lion for the first time.  The excitement I felt just from that sign was recaptured every time I went, no matter how old I was.  I always looked for it when I went back to the parks but never found it.  I am saddened to hear it no longer exists, but, hopefully, someday, they will recreate it.  I have also always hoped they would do some type of museum in the park with the old artifacts us ageing but not grown up children who were weened on trips to GA would so enjoy.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey, guys!

I'm Dan, a 22-year old aspiring thoosie from NYC. Been a lurker on this site since 2014. The earliest memories I can recall of Six Flags Great Adventure (and the Six Flags Entertainment Corporation as a whole) was the 2004-05 "It's Playtime!" advertising campaign featuring everyone's favorite crazy dancing old man Mr. Six. I have not really gone into a Six Flags park at that period, but it really shows that I was continuing to show interest in going to a major thrill park one day. I had gone to Playland in Rye, Luna Park in Coney, and also WDW in Orlando before then, but that day had arrived sometime in Summer 2014 during the 40th anniversary of Great Adventure, where me and broski had a day out riding Nitro, Superman Ultimate Flight, Kingda Ka (I mean what else??). It's a shame that I didn't get to experience the GAH Museum when it was opened, yet I have high hopes that it may return during the Golden Anniversary season next year... I also went to Great Adventure in two back-to-back seasons in 2016 (End-of-year High School Trip) and 2017 (again, with broski, bringing his then-new girlfriend and our cousin). 5540FD54-9745-4BDB-8F0E-EDC7E9135983.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

Edited by DanTheMan2000
Adding a pic
  • Like 2