VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Early Great Adventure Commercials

Awesome article with an interesting advertising scheme for an amusement park. You know what would be kind of cool would be something like a sweethearts day at the park. Maybe shortly before the park opens to the general public for the season or something similar to their event in may. Have a special price laid out worth like two admissions, meal for each, tickets to play games on the boardwalk and then maybe a firework show at night over the lake or something. It would be a great way for couples to come in and enjoy the park for the day together with some added perks included. If the park is not yet open the the general public, not all stands would necesarily have to be opened since it most likely would not be filled to the extent that it would on a normal operating day. They could have certain coasters and flat rides open to the public as well as some of the shows running. The night could end with a fireworks display right after dark set to some romantic music for everyoe to watch out in the Lake Front. I know it may sound like a little much but it would be an interesting way to have a special event with a crowd that might not ordinarily come to the park.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a video of the original TV commercial with Jerry Lewis? I can still hear in my mind the original song "You are about to begin the greatest day OF YOUR LIFE....at GREAT ADVENTURE!!!"

I am not sure if this commercial was promotional for before the Park's grand opening, or whether it was after the park opened. I remember it showing Jerry and some kids sitting on the Giant Wheel too.

I also remember the 1975 TV commercial had the same song, with a voice over at the end saying "Ride the all-new HYDRA FLUME!"

I've read about the Jerry Lewis ads but have never seen or heard them.

I believe the song Great Adventure - The Greatest Day in Your Life was actually introduced in 1975. Click HERE to listen to a piano version of the song. If anyone ever finds a "real" version of this tune or commercial we would love to hear (and see) it!

Jay, does that sound anything like you remember it? I have the sheet music which contains the words. I'll try to post it to the galleries soon. It's an interesting song because the lyrics reference several of the major attractions at the time as well as the entertainment and general atmosphere of the park.

Yes indeed! I used to come home from school every day and watch the channel 5 cartoons, and "The Hillarious House of Frightenstein", and the Great Adventure commercial would come on every day. I drove my parents nuts for a long time till we finally got to go.

• 1 month later...

This morning I received a voicemail from a friend's husband with him singing the lyrics to this old Great Adventure song. It matches up with the piano version perfectly! Like many, he remembered it from his younger days!

I have been singing it in my head for the past two hours now! :walkman: Help!

• 1 month later...
Jay, does that sound anything like you remember it? I have the sheet music which contains the words. I'll try to post it to the galleries soon. It's an interesting song because the lyrics reference several of the major attractions at the time as well as the entertainment and general atmosphere of the park.

Any luck yet tracking the commercial? I wonder if the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC might have it.

How about those lyrics? :D

Any luck yet tracking the commercial? I wonder if the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC might have it.

How about those lyrics? :D

I forgot about those lyrics. You can now find the sheet music in the Publications and Articles Gallery.

I'm going to check for the commerical (and a bunch of other GA related pieces) at the Museum of Broadcasting. I've been hoping to go there for over a year and will get there within the next month.

• 2 months later...

Way to go! You're hot on the trail! Perhaps we'll get to see those commercials in the near future,they're bound to show up sometime.:)

Edited by J4Sing

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

OMG! My mugs on the photo..as Sir Wilde N. Wooley spent 2 days filming that dang thing..in the heat...Coma along with jerry to a magical land a land of delight its Great Adventure..Ride the Giant long flime ride the greatest thrill in ala the world try the other rides high and low....Does that refreseh anyones memories..<EG>

I would still love to get a recording of these earliest commercials. I wonder if Warner LeRoy ever appeared in one.

Well to anwser your question no he didnt...And heres something else to track down...its from 1974 played in NY and Pa..."Great Adventure even more spectaculer in the fall"..It played in Sept, Ovt, and Nove. 1974..And yes the park was open that year two weeks before Thanksgivinig. And we were not on a weekends only..it was seven days 10am to 10 pm.....

• 11 months later...