VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kiddie Kingdom

I really wish someone can find a picture or two of the entrance to Kiddie Kingdom. I barely remember it and I almost feel like there were toy soldiers at the entrance at some point near the end (just before it was tuned into Shirt Tales Land).

I am not sure when the hot air balloons were removed from the entrance but I know they had soldiers (plywood cutouts) standing guard from 1980 to 1983. There was an overhead arch between them that spanned the entrance walkway with gold KIDDIE KINGDOM letters. This is the best picture (which is very poor) of the entrance that I could find.

gallery_2_35_95401.jpg

OK, that's what I remembered. That and I remember the iron fence along the edge with the hearts and diamonds in pink and green, but that's only because it was still there as part of Bugs Bunny Land (and it may still even be there in some areas).

You can see a bit of the fence (behind the van) in this picture:

gallery_1_2_106818.jpg

I seem to remember seeing the hot air balloons in the background of one of the pictures we found when we were researching the book, but I can't remember what the picture was of to know what to look for/what it would have been filed under. I want to say they were in the background of a picture taken at the former front gate with characters or the sway poles.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Like yourself, I often find myself going back over the images on this website looking for hints of long gone park features.  I know you're looking for a better photo of the Kiddie Kingdom entrance arch, perhaps one where you did not have to read the entrance banner backwards.  I use an excellent, yet inexpensive, image manipulation software for macOS called GraphicConverter.  Using your photo from inside Kiddie Kingdom of the entrance arch, I simply created a horizontal mirror of that photo, showing the arch as it would have read as you entered Kiddie Kingdom.  Unfortunately, the supports on the back of the letters remain, but you can now see the arch as it would have looked as you entered.

image.thumb.jpeg.e11eb88a711022ec512f74087f1c2317.jpeg

Another hidden gem I just noticed, is the park's original parking tram circle at the original entrance to the Enchanted Forest.  Your B/W aerial of Kiddie Kingdom shows it  neatly hidden between Kiddie Kingdom and Fortune Festival/Goodtime Alley.  The tram route became a service road following the move of the park's entrance to its current location.  The service road and the tram circle (which acted as a sort of cul-de-sac for the two-lane road, with grass and trees in it's center) served the Security and First-Aid building and remained long into the 1980's.

gallery_2_35_95401.jpg

Orignal Tram Circle.png

• Like 1