VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Welcome to Retro Trip Reports

29yrswithaGApass

RetroTripReportHeader%20copy.png

Welcome to our new Retro Trip Reports area of the forums - a place for us to share Great Adventure photo trip reports from years past.

Each Retro Trip Report will include photos taken on a particular visit to Great Adventure on a specific day. The goals of these trip reports is to reflect back on past visits while providing a visual tour of the park from years ago.

We hope you enjoy this new photo series.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to open up these Retro Trip Reports to requests. The most photographed trips I have are from 1988 to today. If anyone has a calendar season (for example, Summer 1991) that they would like to see, I'll do my best to prioritize requests to the top. Just respond in this topic and let me know.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I had to laugh when I ran across some old trip report logs that I kept years ago. I consider myself pretty organized, but my skills must be slipping because I am nowhere near as thorough as I must have been back in the late 80s and early 90s. Below is a tally sheet from my first 1991 visit and I kept the log up for the entire season. Not only did I record how many times I went on each ride each trip,but in what order and how many times over the course of the season. i must have also kept track of what shows we saw and where we ate in the park. The best part of these logs for me today is that I also made notes of each visit, something that today I have replaced with digital photos. It is interesting to see which rides we hit up, many of which are long gone. FYI, by the end of the 1991 season (according to the log), I visited 26 times with my last visit on November 9, 1991. In all I had taken 226 rides with the #1 spot being Rolling Tthunder (37 times), #2 Great American Scream Machine (31 times), and tied for third place were Lightning Loops and Shockwave (17 times each). I also went on the new Adventure River slides 21 times and my least ridden ride was the Typhoon (Rotor) which I only went on once.

Here's the log from that first 1991 trip:

gallery_2_35_315939.jpg

^ That's interesting since I do a similar thing, but just as a note on my phone, writing which rides I went on and how many times.

My ride count from my trip to the park this year was- El Toro 3x, Bizarro 2x, Nitro 2x, and Superman, Green Lantern, Log Flume, Sky Ride, SkyScreamer, Skull Mountain, Batman, The Dark Knight, and Kingda Ka once each. It's interesting to see that out of all the rides I rode that day only the Log Flume and Sky Ride were there the date of the log you posted.

I use my phone as well, and then when I get home I add everything to an Excel file with the date of the trip and what coasters I rode and how many times each and also keep a yearly and overall total.

What kind of ride was Typhoon? I tried to look it up and couldn't find anything about it.