VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 17 - Expanded Dining Options with More Variety

Almost every theme park has expanded their dining options recently in one way or another, adding things like Starbucks coffee and other brand name specialty items as well as having unique offerings. The picture we used to illustrate this is a perfect example where some parks I know Dollywood and Great Escape, but I'm sure there are others) do giant skillets with fajitas so you can get them fast and fresh and easy. Too many times the food offerings are the same burger/pizza/chicken strips with no other options.

This is one of the biggest problems with the park today. The lack of food options is one of the biggest reason why eating at the multitude of restaurants just outside the gates makes sense over in-park options.

One of the things I think the park really needs is a signature food. Kennywood has the Potato Patch, Dollywood has their skillets and SFOT has Pink Things. Wouldn't it be great if the park had something that guests make a tradition to eat? Imagine world-class BBQ at BOTW or homemade ice cream at Yum Yum Palace. I think adding something like these would add a whole new dynamic to the park.

^ The idea about a signature food would be great; it would give the park more of its own identity, in addition to being delicious! It seems that the Cedar Fair parks are working on having individual identity again, with Kings Dominion's 40th Anniversary celebration and Kings Island's suspended coaster being renamed "The Bat". A signature food could help give our park a similar sense of identity.

I definitely agree that it would be great for Great Adventure to have its own signature food. If it weren't already Kings Islands's thing, I would say that we should have blueberry ice cream, since the blueberry is New Jersey's state fruit. Something with cranberries (another NJ thing) would be great.

So everything old is new. The park had this in the beginning. BOTW had signature dinner platers BBQ ribs, BBQ, Chicken. Yum Yum had more icecram and dessert options then youd be able to think of. Gingerbread hand honey stung borsted chicken, and shrimp. Pasta and NY cheesecake. Baverian waffles. Burgers were served at the Eaat! Eat! next to the Big Wheel. Pizzia at the BAndstand, as well as burgers and hot dogs, Conastoga wagon hand tacos and pulled pork, ANd all made on location and fresh. But does anyone think SF would ponie up the monery to hire the sou chefs? Youve got to remember Mr. Le Roy was a restaurature. And was able to use his knowledge and that of his staff to create this food to more then fast food standards. " A food Adventure you bet!"

Edited by FlumeOp1974

I used to always eat at Best of the West. I still do but the food quality has dropped so much. They went from delicious and hearty portions of potato wedges, to curly fries, to regular fries. The chicken tenders (which i always get) are more bread than chicken and they are smaller. The price remains the same or goes up. I do not mind paying more for better food. I'm sure most people would agree that good food is worth the price. I went on a trip this summer which included kennywood, cedar point, and king's island. All these places had much better food. Its a shame kennywood beat Great Adventure when they dont have corporate funds available to them.

I don't bother with eating at GADV anymore. Now Hershey has some really nice food service like BBQ, crabcakes, pasta, and fancy deserts. My parents still talk about how they used to get Lobster and Shrimp at GADV back in the old days. A few years ago GADV used to serve Jamaican patties that were pretty good. However many of the dining areas are pretty worn down and are allowed to get really dirty, so the park should address that as well. No one wants to eat food on dirty tables or in dingy dining rooms.

Edited by The Master

Although gadv doesn't have much, it may not be worse than Cedar Point. I remember when going back in June there really was not much to choose from. And anything good we did find was closed for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Minor complaint but I wish the places that serve salad didn't prepackage them with cheese already on them. I am not a cheese fan and it sort of defeats the purpose of choosing a salad. Maybe have it in a side container/cup and offer it as a no charge option.

I am happy to say the park had salads made up yesterday without cheese! It was also good to see that the number of options has increased with some new menu items. :)

• 2 weeks later...