VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure General Store (AKA GAGS)- The Original

29yrswithaGApass

I didn't know dress code requirements were that strict back then like having to be clean shaven and only certain shoe styles were approved. It looks like the store was probably really helpful for the employees especially with low prices.

^I was suppose to work in food service in '84 and one of the requirements was that you had to have sneakers which were totally blue. I had blue Nike running sneakers at the time but couldn't wear them because they had a white swoosh on them. I thought it was odd that we had to wear blue sneakers when the uniforms were brown... white would have been a better match.

They were REALLY strict about wardrobe stuff years ago. You had to have sneakers that were ALL white, and Reebok was a sponsor at the time and you could get a pair at GAGS for $20 when they were like $45 in other stores so it was a good deal.

I remember stories of guys getting in trouble for not being clean shaven. Supervisors would take cotton balls and rub them on their faces to check for stubble. They sold a LOT of razors back then!

• 8 years later...

I believe the blue canvas sneakers you mentioned earlier came in those boxes that so many of us in Food Service wore.  White rubber soles, tan rubber bottoms, blue canvas uppers.  My two seasons in food service I went through two pairs each season.  The back of the white rubber soles had an additional small rectangular rubber label with the words Six Flags in the western style font that all of their parks used at the time.

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Great Adventure General Store (AKA GAGS)- The Original