VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Evolution

29yrswithaGApass

• 1 month later...

I thought the Evolution was a rather relaxing ride. The speed was constant and the motion was smooth. It was much less intense than the Enterprise (Spinmeister) and provided a great view. The strangest part of the ride was that the cars faced outwards at the bottom so you only saw the people in your own car. However, when the cars got to the top they all faced inwards and you saw everyone seated in a gigantic circle. Pretty odd ride.

• 2 months later...

When Evolution was added to Six Flags St Louis it looks like it may have lost most, if not all, of the thousands of miniature lights that made this ride a great spectator attraction at night. It seems that so many rides are loosing these types of lights and instead just using flood light type lighting.

Just another casualty of cost effectiveness unfortuantely. So mnay parks and attractions have gotten so far away from that carnival like atmosphere in lighting their attractions up. While some newer guests today may not really know any better, those of us who have seen these rides in their glory days of being lit up know how great it can make both the attraction and the park at night.

I never got to ride Evolution either, I remember seeing it runing only a handful of times. I did saw it running once from a top one of the water slide towers over in HH. When I was at SFStL a few years ago I saw Evolution there but I did not get around riding it there either. So many of those 1999 rides are gone now the only ones left are Medusa, Blackbeards train, Jolly Rodger, and Houdini.

• 2 months later...
I thought the Evolution was a rather relaxing ride. The speed was constant and the motion was smooth. It was much less intense than the Enterprise (Spinmeister) and provided a great view. The strangest part of the ride was that the cars faced outwards at the bottom so you only saw the people in your own car. However, when the cars got to the top they all faced inwards and you saw everyone seated in a gigantic circle. Pretty odd ride.

I just found this POV video of Xcalibur (Great Adventure's Evolution) at Six Flags St Louis. It's funny... the rider describes it the same way I did in November... "relaxing"!

• 4 months later...
I just found this POV video of Xcalibur (Great Adventure's Evolution) at Six Flags St Louis. It's funny... the rider describes it the same way I did in November... "relaxing"!

I doubt Six Flags installed audio when they relocated the Evolution to St Louis and installed it as Xcalibur, but the music on this video truly enhances the ride experience.

• 5 months later...

Surprisingly they did install audio on the ride when they brought it here to SFSTL! Each car has it's own speaker and it really adds a lot to the overall ride experience. I agree, 29yrs, Evolution/Xcalibur is a pretty mellow ride. It's bark is much worse than it's bite! I've read a few comments where people say more than any other this is the ride they wish GA still had, but honestly you're not missing much. It's a fun ride, definitely, but I'd sacrifice it in a heartbeat for an El Toro or a Nitro lol.

• 2 months later...

I still regret not riding it when it was at the park. Evolution's old spot would still be good for a new ride in the future.

Edited by The Master

• 1 year later...

Bmax, I completely concur. VARIETY brought the people to GA in the 70s and early 80s. I live about 20 minutes from Magic Mountain. Every time I drive past it, all I see are roller coasters all over the place. Love roller coasters (all kinds), but I'm looking at more variety when paying those kind of ticket prices. When the guys put up these spotlights of some of those classic rides in GA's history, it brings a great big smile.

That's how I feel as well. I really like the coasters at Great Adventure but sometimes I feel like taking a break from the coasters and want to ride something else and with so many non coaster rides either removed, SBNO or closed there leaves very little to choose from. My last visit to the park I didn't go on anything else besides coasters because there are so few flats left and of those rides left, some were closed. I'd be happy to not get a new coaster for 5+ years if it meant we could get back some of the flat/non coaster rides we lost or get replacements for them.

Edited by Yoshi

Nothing really draws me to the park besides the coasters. With the shows cut back, flat rides almost non-existant, water rides down to 2, and high prices, it's hard to justify bringing anyone to the park that isn't under 5 or over 10, which means you cut out a huge amount of families. Rides like Evolution allowed those kids in the 5-10 age range go on rides while their older siblings go on coasters or allowed everyone to ride together. If you're not riding a coaster in the park, you aren't doing anything else.