VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure History Museum

What is the cost of keeping it open all season? Is there an employee staffed there? And if so, they really can't chip in one employee for a few hours a day for more than a couple of weeks? That's really too bad; I know guests would get enjoyment out of it all season (and beyond).

I am enjoying the photos from the "Great Adventure History Museum" a lot. Just wish I could visit the park in time to see it. Great Adventure should really keep this attraction open, and offer classic items /gifts for sale. I'd probably purchase a t-shirt with the rainbow Great Adventure logo on it. The sign section along sparks so many memories.

Loved seeing the "Calypso" seat too. If they had anything from the "Swiss Bob" in there, I might have been ejected from the park for trying to sit in it! Nobody built better flats than Anton Schwarzkopf. I just wish Intamin would resurrect his catalog.

Who made the paper flowers? I remember when those were sold in the entrance plaza as a child. Were they in storage, or made especially for the museum?

That's great to hear the museum will be open for almost the entire month. As more pictures get posted with the updates, it keeps looking more amazing.

Edited by Yoshi

Good news- HELD OVER BY POPULAR DEMAND - The Great Adventure History Museum will remain open for an extra two weeks through Sunday July 27th!!!!

Yes! That's the day I might be going! I'll definitely make a stop in if I'm there that day :)

^Thanks!

Good news- HELD OVER BY POPULAR DEMAND - The Great Adventure History Museum will remain open for an extra two weeks through Sunday July 27th!!!!

Oh, I'll just miss it. Next time I'll be at the park is the first weekend of August. Oh well. Anyway, congratulations on organizing and contributing to such a great feature in the park, Harry. Keep the pictures coming- it looks awesome!

I am enjoying the photos from the "Great Adventure History Museum" a lot. Just wish I could visit the park in time to see it. Great Adventure should really keep this attraction open, and offer classic items /gifts for sale. I'd probably purchase a t-shirt with the rainbow Great Adventure logo on it. The sign section along sparks so many memories.

Loved seeing the "Calypso" seat too. If they had anything from the "Swiss Bob" in there, I might have been ejected from the park for trying to sit in it! Nobody built better flats than Anton Schwarzkopf. I just wish Intamin would resurrect his catalog.

Who made the paper flowers? I remember when those were sold in the entrance plaza as a child. Were they in storage, or made especially for the museum?

I have to give Great Adventure credit. The museum is a staffed exhibit that is purely a non-proft venue. We don't sell anything there (not even the 40th Anniversary shirt). It is purely for the enjoyment of the park's guests. That is something that isn't too common these days in the amusement industry.

We were able to locate a couple of Swiss Bob cars in the boneyard but I didn't request one to be brought into the museum because after doing some research I don't believe they were originals from the park. The hand rails were configured a little different from our model. They also had an Enterprise car but there was no way to safely put it on display because of its rounded bottom.

The paper flowers were made by the mom of one of our museum team members. She use to work in the front entrance making those back in the day. Those have inspired me to want to do a Spotlight on the Flower Market and hopefully include instructions on how to make those flowers at home.

That's great to hear the museum will be open for almost the entire month. As more pictures get posted with the updates, it keeps looking more amazing.

Thanks. It has really been coming together. We still have a bullet list of things we want to add to the museum.

In my opinion, I know the Great Adventure History Museum deserves a permanent home within the park. It would really put Great Adventure on the map and stand out from the other parks. I really hope to see the museum soon, it looks so cool.

Heading down to the park tomorrow, hopefully I get there in time to stop in the museum. Last week I didn't arrive until 5 pm, but the bit you can see from the window walking from teacups to boardwalk looks great.

Any potential they make it a permanent display? It'd be the best use for the tent it's in.

Edited by gencx

^ No, the Museum is a temporary exhibit.

In a way that is a good thing for when it returns it can be considered more of an "event" that can be scheduled. When its run is over on July 27th the current items will be placed into special storage (rather than back into the boneyard) and we are going to keep inventory of what we have. The museum has also brought to light the awareness of saving items for future exhibits. It is a great first step in establishing an unofficial archives for the park.

Back at the Great Adventure History Museum, we added some Hurricane Harbor artwork and artifacts to the displays today. Here are a few photos of some of the items.

gallery_2_972_690089.jpg

gallery_2_972_684082.jpg

Wow!

Kudos Harry, wonderful job. If it was actually a permanent fixture id donate my yum yum palace blueprints and other memorabilia.

I am so happy to see the park and the little things like this happening. Being I relocated to charlotte NC and now carowinds is my home park I havnt been to Gadv in many years (the last time I was there I remember riding the parachutes to get pics of GASM's demolition) so I rarely keep up with Gadv but I still check in and see whats new through this site. Couldn't do it without you!

Boy, I wish I'd known about this sooner or if you had a longer time frame. I am a supervisor at another Theme park and have only one day off between now and then & already have plans made for that day. Would love to see some of the things that I still remember from my childhood in the 70's.