VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Aqua Spectacle (AKA Fort Independence)

• 7 months later...

^Back in the day, guests were able to enter shows right up until the end. I would imagine those guests in the tunnel were being held there until the dolphin completed his jump.

I haven't taken notice lately, do the stadium gates close at the start of the show these days?

Yes,once the little voiceover before the show starts, that is cue to shut the gates if possible, and if not get the stragglers in as fast as possible because they do not want people entering once it starts. Worse case scenario on crazy days, people would be allowed in until an animal come out but once an animal comes out gates need to close.

As much as it sucks for the guest, they need to realize the employees side of things and that they don't make the rules and don't benefit from locking people out since it usually just ends in an angry guest. If we could let people in we would, we don't want to argue or get you angry but its just the way things are. They'll argue with you as they are standing in front of 3, yes 3, guest code of conduct signs with the first one being gates close at showtime with no further admittance, as well is posted in the show guides to show up early.

With people flowing in and out as they please, the show simply would not go right or not go at all. I have seen a sealion get confused as well as get scared and 'freeze' and not do any behaviors just from people moving about in the stands or trying to leave. It would just cause too much chaos with people walking about as they please.

^ It makes sense to close the gates for the animal's safety. It also makes it a lot better for the seated guests as they don't have the inconvenience of late guests interrupting the show and blocking their views.

The mad rushes mid-show use to be even worse during the high dive shows when guests outside the stadium would see the diver climbing the 100 foot ladder. They all wanted to get inside to see his landing.

• 3 months later...

I think that was the fastest response to a Spotlight request ever lol. Perfect timing with everything that's going on. And really great with the year by year show listing. I almost forgot how great of a view of the lake you used to have before that wall went up on the side of the pool where the Trainers do the show.

Makes me miss all the shows they used to have. Just between those two shows (getting in and wait till show starts, the show itself and then leaving) would give us a nice break for about 1 and 1/2 hours.

• 3 months later...

gallery_2_35_96845.jpg

For most of the history of the Aqua Spectacle/Fort Independence stadium guests entered through the main entrance (C above) and exited through either C or B. On rare ocassions I remember being able to exit side ramp D, but never A. Does anyone ever recall a time when ramp A was used for entry and/or exit? In recent years it seems that D's gate was always closed and gate A served more as a service/backstage ramp.

The rumor has been around for some time but I don't know when it was officially decided. I would imagine in January or February. Earlier this year shows were added to the entertainment listing on the SFGA website for inside the stadium but those were removed shortly thereafter.

Harry--do you happen to know when the decision was officially made to remove Fort Independence? When was the idea first tossed around to demolish it?

I've heard jokes from employees involved with the stadium as early as last year. Not sure when the trigger was pulled though. I guess it just happened to help the sealions were pregnant and they knew they couldn't and wouldn't be on the stadium so even if it was around it would've been there but not being used.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Taken on May 2, 1974, here is a rare aerial view of the Aqua Spectacle under construction.  Much of the construction of the Enchanted Forest theme park took place with little to any details being leaked to the public.  A local newspaper captioned this photo as "One of the mysterious amusement structures rises roundly at the park."

1974_MAY02_EB_AquaConstruction_Front copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love this photo!  Any idea what appear to be six rooms at the back of the Aqua Spectacle actually became when the stadium was finished?  Also, in the main pool area, there looks like five structures protruding into the pool area from the outer walls.  Were these some sort of temporary supports holding back the concrete walls and eventually removed when the pools were filled with water?  Just seems a little odd that they only appear in the main pool.  Do you have any idea where the salt water systems and filtration for all of it were located when the finished seating areas eventually covered all of the areas below?

I am not an expert on the salinization process but I was fortunate enough to have guided tour under the seats just before the stadium was demolished.  The two large blocked-in portions were used for water storage and the six bins in the middle contained a sand mixture that was used in the conversion process from fresh to salt water.  All three areas were linked by huge pipelines and monitoring equipment.

The structures inside the pool were just temporary platforms used while they finished off the pool's walls including electrical lighting.

DG-16-4 MAY74 AQUA STADIUM copy.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you, Harry.  It has always been the incredibly small, detailed minutia that I have always enjoyed the most.

While I never had the opportunity to go under the stadium as you did, as part of the Employee Fun Olympics during the summer of 1985, I got myself into the competition as a jouster against another department's opposing jouster.  I didn't last more than :15 seconds on the floating platform, largely because I had not even thought about the weight of the jousts themselves.  But, as a loser in the competition, I did manage to swim in the main pool and, at the time, found that to be incredibly thrilling!

• Haha 1

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Aqua Spectacle (AKA Fort Independence)